Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minnesota Whist is popular in (where else?) Minnesota. It's supposedly similar to an older, European variant called Norwegian Whist, and was no doubt brought to Minnesota by Scandanavian settlers. There is no trump suit in this game.

Four players are arranged in two partnerships and the cards are dealt out in the usual manner. The game begins with a secret auction in which the players simultaneously place either a red or a black card face down. Beginning with the person sitting to the left of the dealer, the players reveal their bid-cards in turn. If a black card is turned over, then no further cards are revealed, and the hand is played "high." This means that the partnership taking at least 7 of the 13 tricks scores points. The first person to reveal a black card is said to have "granded." The person to the right of the player that granded leads the first trick. When all 13 tricks have been played, the side that won more tricks scores one point for each trick over 6.

If a card is red, players continue to reveal their cards in clockwise order. If all four cards are red, then the hand is played "low." This means that a partnership must take 6 or fewer tricks to avoid losing points. No one has granded in low hands, so the player to the left of the dealer leads the first trick. When all 13 tricks have been played, the side that took the most tricks loses one point for each trick over 6.

Cards that are bid on the table are returned to players' hands before the first trick is led. The partnership that first reaches 13 points wins the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 15 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I prefer a better balance of favorites to new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
mbmbmbmbmb
My family has always played by the rules you describe, except we play that you are "ducking" with a black card during the bid and the first red card revealed is going "grand".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Orr
United States
Medical Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is the WHist I was taught, by my father, who is from Minnesota. With the exception that scores never go down, as implied in the description; read "losing points" as "point scored by the other partnership." One of my faves, easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Petry
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shotokanguy wrote:
Minnesota Whist is popular in (where else?) Minnesota. It's supposedly similar to an older, European variant called Norwegian Whist, and was no doubt brought to Minnesota by Scandanavian settlers. There is no trump suit in this game.

This is our standard family whist, played with grandparents and parents since I knew what cards were (my grandpa was from Minnesota). We usually call it "Norwegian whist" or just plain-old "whist" (trump whist is "English whist").

There were a few slight differences, however:

1) We use a red card to signal granding, and a black card for going low.

2) If the partnership that chose to grand doesn't obtain 7 tricks, their opponents score double the number of tricks they have over 6 as punishment. The partnership that grands can only score one point for each trick above 6 (as you described). If you're prepared to grand, you'd better make sure you know what you're doing!

3) Scores can only go up, so on a low hand, the partnership with fewer than 7 tricks scores one point for each trick less than 7. A full game plays to 13 points.

A classic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Northern Finland a variant called Tuppi is played. It is otherwise similar to the npetry's description, except for the scoring. In Tuppi, only one team can have points, and if the opponents score, the game is returned to the 0-0 situation. Winning a game is quite difficult, since the points requred to win a game must be collected in consecutive hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuppi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.