Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The German soldier has two turns and begins his turn crouching. His paragraph is 809: "Move as quickly as possible and then fall prone"

So, does he do a free stance change to be able to run standing-up, or does he crawl one hex per turn and then fall prone with his free stance change?

If the former, does he have to give priority to going prone over movement, because if he does run upright then he will have used his free stance change, and will need to use a MP to go prone - which will mean he hasn't moved as far as he can.

Whaddaya think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played that he stands up, but I guess you could make a case for calculating his best-possible movement and execute that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting idea; I'll play it that way from now on. In any case, the soldier in question has escaped as far as a treeline where he now has a new sniping stance (in the sense of a place to shoot from, not from whether he's standing or whatever). So he's stopped anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Standing up to run is faster than crawling, and you are supposed to carry out actions one at a time in the order listed, so I would have him stand up and run. If it says just "fall prone" I would then save a movement point to afford doing that. If it says "fall prone if free stance change available" I would not have him fall prone (because the free stance change was used to stand up at the beginning of the turn).

Usually paragraphs are easy to follow as long as you just do one thing at a time and don't try to think too much about what an optimal combinations of things would be (there is even an explicit rule telling you to do so, somewhere in the beginning of the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This part of the rules:

"In some cases, the instruction to make the free stance change is explicitly stated; in other cases it is implied. In some instances, the soldier may not be able to carry out all the instructions of a paragraph. If this is the case, have the soldier do as much as he can toward completion of the instructions, in the order in which they are given."

also:

"Usually the paragraphs are to be taken literally; if a para-graph instructs a soldier to “crouch and fire...” he will crouch, even if that makes fire impossible because has no longer has an LOS to an enemy."

Leads me to believe you do the free stance change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thank you all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.