David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie & Derk,

I'm astounded and embarrased by the complete lack of manners, appreciation and common sense by a suprisingly high number of users regarding the site changes. I'd like to tell you both how much I appreciate the effort you've put into this site with these recent changes and the effort you've put in over these years. This appreciation comes regardless of whether I like the changes or not (which I do), but because you've dedicating a huge chunk of your time to build a community which I have appreciated so much being a part of.

I got into gaming solely because of BGG, and I owe quite a lot to this community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are my crack. BGG is the pipe. Thanks, Aldie for having the stones to tell the Man "to take this job and you know what it". Off to get my '06 supporters badge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shew! This thread could use a little:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. Yet I always keep this in mind:
Quote:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

-George Bernard Shaw

Edit:
When I said 'Agreed' I meant to the original post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Ramsey
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhh..."Butt Kisser Wipe." Ha! Please tell us you've waited for a while to be able to use that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt horn
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Clearly the site benefits when everyone says how great it is and does not express criticism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
spielboy wrote:
Clearly the site benefits when everyone says how great it is and does not express criticism.

The site - and all its users - benefits when it is a pleasant place to be. Which does not mean that no criticism should be expressed, but DOES mean that posters should remember that there are real people with real emotions reading the posts.

There is no need for the unpleasantness and rudeness that is flaring up all over the Geek. If a user has a problem, there are plenty of ways to express it WITHOUT being downright rude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Clearly the site benefits when everyone says how great it is and does not express criticism."

Please explain the part where a comment like this benefits anyone.
OH, I GET IT, it's sarcasm!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
There's a huge difference between constructive criticism and the rampant bitching that's been going on here the last two days. I too am rather disgusted at most users' behavior and I hope Aldie is able to shrug it off as the braying of the internet donkeys.

nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
The site - and all its users - benefits when it is a pleasant place to be. Which does not mean that no criticism should be expressed, but DOES mean that posters should remember that there are real people with real emotions reading the posts.

Hear, hear, Melissa! This is a big change, it's inevitable that not everyone will like it. To be honest, I'm still in the 'wait and see' mode with it myself, and I previously made a polite (I hope) comment about something I thought could be improved. It's really not any harder to be polite, it just takes a few more minutes to calm yourself down and think about what you are saying. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I agree that people should be reasonably polite, including when they are attacking a person for making critical comments about the changes...some of the rudest people have been the ones jumping all over Chris for his comments on ad blocking etc....I do like the wipes advertised above tho'....

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Criticism is the foundation of democracy.

I thought beer was the foundation of democracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that people should be civil, I have been quite shocked at how rude some BGGers have been. Yes its fine to offer constructive criticism and say what you like or don't like about the new site. Different people have different ideas on what works best for them. By looking at all the options and opinions the site can be tweaked to perfection.

I think everyone needs to chill a bit and sit back and see how the new look pans out as it is very early days yet.

CC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
It is only through constructive critisism that things improve and Aldie gets feedback on the new site. Blind praise may be nice for the ego (a good pat on the back is always a good thing when something as well done as this new makeover has been) but constructive critisism is valuable for the future of the website. I think the suggestions/critisisms made over the last two days for the vast majority have been polite, constructive and in the future will serve to benefit the entire BGG community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper A
Denmark
Frederikshavn
na
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I Don't Beat You Because I Hate You - I Do It Because I Love You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:

Thanks for posting this Melissa, it should have been included in my original message. Certainly feedback is important to Aldie, but how constructive is "the new site sux, put back the old one"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
Games are my crack. BGG is the pipe.

laugh That is *so* true - I'm here over half of the total time I'm on the web.

The new look is really growing on me and I can see huge potential in the customization functionality. All in all, the upgrade will be a huge benefit to the users of the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
CherryPie wrote:
I agree that people should be civil, I have been quite shocked at how rude some BGGers have been. Yes its fine to offer constructive criticism and say what you like or don't like about the new site. Different people have different ideas on what works best for them. By looking at all the options and opinions the site can be tweaked to perfection.

I think everyone needs to chill a bit and sit back and see how the new look pans out as it is very early days yet.

CC

Where's the rude stuff? I believe you guys, I just havent seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

You catch even more with shit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry McVicker
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
spielboy wrote:

Criticism is the foundation of democracy.

Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried.

-Winston Churchill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I have not witnessed any "bad manners" or "rudeness" in the last few days, I am sure it has arisen here on the Geek.

I mean, c'mon, when you cannot make a post regarding your dislike of games in the vein of Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, or even Lost Cities without getting burned at the stake as a heretic, then I'm sure the new and improved Geek has raised the b!itching to a new level.

So, am I surprised? Not in the least little bit.

But I, like many others, dig the new site. Nice work!

(Now, if only you folks could make people reply to trade offers...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon David Faeth
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Denise wrote:
As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Yea, but who wants a bunch of sticky flies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.