Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Heise
United States
Laurel, MD
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am looking for a new diversion. Your recommendations please. Something like 1914:Twilight in the East. I am also considering Wacht am Rhein II or Hurtgen by Decision Games. I enjoy The Grand Tactical Series by MMP (and have them all). I have The Battle for Normandy By GMT. The OCS series is not my cup of tea, the supply rules don't do it for me. My criteria includes: size is no issue( I have a large gaming area) but some smaller scenarios to learn on would be great, prefer WWII or WWI but will consider other periods. No or limited record keeping (something like command and dispatch point management in the TCS is ok). Nothing too fiddly. The mechanics have to 'make sense'. But I am not adverse to putting in some effort to learn a new system. Gotta have a great looking map and counters. I am not in a hurry so releases for this year will be considered. Perhaps Operation Dauntless by GMT? I do like company to battalion/regiment scale games. I have never done an East front WWII game so that would be interesting too. Let the recommendations rolland thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll get many, many replies here: http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/743498/wargames/general
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite Monster Game is King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind the shill, I have a big one coming out pretty soon called War of the Suns. Certainly my most complex sim I've done and a big one. It's on a lesser done (at least to Americans) topic - the Sino-Japanese War in WWII. You can't get more Eastern Front than that.

Here's an example of combat (and you can see the graphics a bit too - oh, just FYI, the map has been faded to highlight the counters):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
galad2003 wrote:
I thought this was a thread about wanting a game with monsters in it such as Dracula, Frankenstein etc. That sounds like it might be a neat game. :soblue:

Me too, and was prepared to make a wargame suggestion.

Quote:
Your recommendations please. Something like 1914:Twilight in the East.

If you like WWI, maybe it's worth giving Der Weltkrieg Series
games a shot. They were a bit too mechanically 'fiddly' for me,
but give good results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
edwardh wrote:
I am looking for a new diversion. Your recommendations please. Something like 1914:Twilight in the East.

Well, why not 1914: Twilight in the East? Or have you already played that and are looking for something similar?

I'm playing it right now, and it's definitely a monster in terms of size (5 maps) and scope (entire eastern front in WWI) yet only covers the period of summer/autumn 1914, so it's a very detailed study of a very specific period of the war.

The rules, which seemed incredibly daunting to me at first, are actually very well-written, (OCS are the only rules I've experienced so far that are better) and the detailed example of play is one of the best I've read in any rules series, helping me immeasurably to grasp the sequence of play and flow of the game.

In terms of fiddliness, you may find the combat on the fiddly side, as there are at least three table checks/dice rolls you'll be making for each combat. This is something that may be streamlined in the designer's next release, on the WWI Western Front, 1914: Offensive à outrance.

It is also an operational game in which supply figures prominently, but I haven't had any issues with the supply rules - in any operational game, you're going to be tracing supply routes every turn. People either seem to love it or hate it. I think the supply rules in this work very well in the context of the game, especially considering that this is a shorter time period than is typical for a game of this size - you're not simulating the whole war here, just a couple of months in 1914.

The maps are very attractive, as are the counters - nothing garish, but not too bland, either. There are plenty of 1 and 2-map scenarios, including a nice spread of variant material from the latest issue of C3i.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I thought this was a thread about wanting a game with monsters in it such as Dracula, Frankenstein etc. That sounds like it might be a neat game. soblue

I saw one at wonderfest once. it was a cool looking game but got bad reviews. ARGH wish I could remember what it was.... were they on an ocean liner? dang my brain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Heise
United States
Laurel, MD
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No monsters please...just a BIG game! I am leaning towards 1914 TITE , it's even in my Amazon basket. Just trying to be careful with my purchases as I have some preorders which should ship this year. War of the Suns looks interesting, thanks Adam. Will have to do some more research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
edwardh wrote:
No monsters please...just a BIG game!

Ah...now I see your opposition to OCS - the Godzilla rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
edwardh wrote:
No monsters please...just a BIG game! I am leaning towards 1914 TITE , it's even in my Amazon basket. Just trying to be careful with my purchases as I have some preorders which should ship this year. War of the Suns looks interesting, thanks Adam. Will have to do some more research.

I'd suggest reading the living rules for TitE posted on GMT's website, and determining whether it suits your tastes. Like I said, they're daunting - there's about 48 pages of rules, but once I got into them, I found I retained the information better than with most rulebooks I read. Also, running through the detailed example of play, for which I set up the counters and pushed them along with the example, the corresponding rule to what's happening on the board is cited in the example, so you can jump back to the rulebook and read the applicable rule for specific details. This has been very helpful to me.

Also keep in mind that the next in the series will be published later this year - 1914: Offensive à outrance is on GMT's publication list. If you're on the fence about TitE, or if you find the current ruleset not to your liking, this next, new version of the system may be more palatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Heise
United States
Laurel, MD
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adam, are the graphics in the example final? I'm intrigued by the combat ...seems like my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Heise
United States
Laurel, MD
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just had a peek at the chatter on CSW on War of the Suns. I like the 'new' counters, the map is great, and the combat example seems up my alley. Now, how to tell the wife I'd like to preorder it ,...and buy 1914!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'ld recommend Proud Monster Deluxe (4 maps)

and

The Battle for Normandy.

Both were super fun and I'd love to get either set up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very close to final...the Sh unit is really called ShSNLF kind of thing is still there (and I'm trying to not forget that one - can't fix till next week).

...and the map has been faded so you can see the action in the example. Outside of that, 99% final (meaning I'm very hopeful but might find something at the very last minute - which is like in 2 minutes)...

And possibly a silly reason to order WotS over a GMT game, it's an extra small print run and this one will almost certainly never get reprinted. If you're patient, buy 2 and sell 1 in a few years and grab 2-3 GMT monsters with your profit.

(hey, I know I'm working it but that is true)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.