Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Bridges
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the final game of our first weekly board game night.

Al, Jennifer and Paul headed out and Ron stuck around to pummel me at Phoenix, an abstract card/board game where you try to arrange the pawns on your side of the board to match the color pattern (or rainbow) of the large blocks in the middle. Players alternate playing cards that move the pawns or the middle pieces until one player’s “rainbow” matches the rainbow in the middle. Bonus points are normally given for having 3 or more pawns of a single color adjacent to each other (three or more points), having all the colors of the middle rainbow represented in your rainbow (four points) and for going out first (five points) and the game is played over 3 rounds, but we just counted who went out first as 1 point and ignored the other bonus points. We planned on playing best 2 out of 3.

Unfortunately, we never got to the third game since Ron won the first two games. He easily won the first game (we both agreed that he had a very lucky draw and only needed about 5 moves to win). He avoided a possible win situation for me in the second game because I didn’t have either of the two cards that would have won it for me. Taking advantage of the situation, he quickly shifted the center rainbow around and won about 12 moves later. He is a very crafty player and came up very quickly with a solid strategy once he had the right cards. I’m 1 and 3 now, so I’m going to have to work on my game if I want to get my tail from between my legs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.