Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: [Poll] A:NR players and their Magic experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
In your opinion, which of the following statements best describes you?
I have never played Magic: the Gathering
I played a few games
I was a casual Magic player, but do not currently play
I am a casual Magic player
I was a tournament Magic player, but do not currently play
I was a tournament Magic player, but now only play casually
I am a tournament Magic player
      346 answers
Poll created by IirionClaus
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
I should state that my "casual" Magic playing ended over 15 years ago at this point.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Define Tournament player?

Also some tournaments but mostly casual or halfcasual. (For fun drafts but DCI-registred)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dawkins
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a casual Magic player IF you count frequent play of the digital Duels of the Planeswalkers games on the PlayStation Network and iPad. I've never touched (nor do I care to, primarily for financial reasons) the physical card game itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Syphus wrote:
I should state that my "casual" Magic playing ended over 15 years ago at this point.

Dear gods, now I have to check when my playing ended ... *quick Google search* fifteen years in real life and six years on line! With the exception of buying some cards to my nephew, it has been fifteen years since I held a Magic: the Gathering card.

I am oldddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd cry

virre wrote:
Define Tournament player?

I did not want to go into the trouble of defining too much (the question is slightly too detailed for my taste as it is). That's why I titled it as "In your opinion, which of the following statements best describes you?". In other words, answer what you think is most appropriate
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
IirionClaus wrote:
Syphus wrote:
I should state that my "casual" Magic playing ended over 15 years ago at this point.

Dear gods, now I have to check when my playing ended ... *quick Google search* fifteen years in real life and six years on line! With the exception of buying some cards to my nephew, it has been fifteen years since I held a Magic: the Gathering card.

I am oldddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd cry


Thats how I feel too. And I believe the "newest" Magic cards I own are from Chronicles. So that would make my counting about right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
You old fogies, it's only been 5 years since I stopped...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I started with Magic around Kamigawa and got four years later. I remember shards of Alara but not Conflux so that's most of it.

Basically I played the same deck since it was born until Extended stopped being a format. Modern wouldn't exist for a few months and I never made the jump to Legacy.


I looked into it recently and while I enjoy the game, I can't really justify the prices for the ocassional tournament and I don't want to fully get into it. There has been a huge spike in prices and you have to spend three times as much than when I was playing. Makes sense because there's triple demand than some years ago.

So when I "return" it will be to draft with my friends. Nothing more.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would draft nearly every Friday night during the Mirrodin and early Kamigawa blocks. I've been to perhaps half a dozen physical Prereleases and an additional two or three online Prereleases, and I participated in four or five Constructed tournaments. I've never considered myself a hardcore Magic player, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and invested a lot of time and money into the game. At this point in my life, I still play casually online, and occasionally draft online when there is a fortuitous confluence of time, money, and a functioning Windows computer in the home. (My wife and I both primarily use MacBooks these days, and I've never managed to get M:tGO to work on a Mac.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I drafted and played legacy standard pretty competitively for a while. Top 8ed a few tournaments.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Magic, for me the CCG sales model was just obviously dumb and exploitative so why bother?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CrimsonWraith wrote:
I'm a casual Magic player IF you count frequent play of the digital Duels of the Planeswalkers games on the PlayStation Network and iPad. I've never touched (nor do I care to, primarily for financial reasons) the physical card game itself.


Yeah, I enjoy this and it is a lot of MtG at a very nice price. It can be a gateway drug back in, though, so prospective buyers be warned.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Never played Magic, for me the CCG sales model was just obviously dumb and exploitative so why bother?


Welcome to most things you buy in life.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Never played Magic, for me the CCG sales model was just obviously dumb and exploitative so why bother?


[offtopic]I had the same thoughts about World of Warcraft.[/offtopic]
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I chose "I am a tournament Magic player" because even though I dont play near as much as I used to, when I do play it is always in a tournament or getting ready for a tournament.

I qualified for and played in Pro Tour Berlin in '08 which was an awesome experience but I realized that maintaining that level of competitiveness would be prohibitively expensive. At the time I was playing in 4-6 sanctioned drafts a week in addition to buying decks for constructed and playing in every PTQ within a 4 hour drive.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maghd wrote:
4-6 sanctioned drafts a week




wow

I am so jealous! Drafting is by far my most favorite way to play! But you're right, that would get incredibly expensive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syphus wrote:
I should state that my "casual" Magic playing ended over 15 years ago at this point.

This for me, as well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Netrunner > Magic
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Angrist wrote:
Netrunner > Magic

Potatoes > Oranges

Seriously, nobody makes you choose. I even play Steam and the boardgame police hasn't...

AAARARGAJRGHAGRHAGR

Nothing to see here. I like games. Go on, citizen.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm playing in a Magic tournament later today.

Whereas I can't say the same about Netrunner, despite liking the game more.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Angrist wrote:
I'm playing in a Magic tournament later today.

Whereas I can't say the same about Netrunner, despite liking the game more.


That's a function of the game being new and anti-magic, and there are already DECADES of magic players out there.

I wish there were more netrunners, for sure.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into it during the Revised era (The Dark, Arabian Nights, Fallen Empires, Ice Age), and a bit of 4th edition. All of my friends quit playing, so I did, too, and sold off my cards.

I got into it again a couple of times after that, after high school and while in college. After college, most of my Magic-playing friends either moved away or quit playing. The last cards I've acquired were from Kamigawa.

Around 2009 I discovered Netrunner, quite by accident, and wound up buying all the cards I could find on eBay (as well as several other cheap, dead CCGs). Since then, I've had about zero interest in getting back into Magic.

As for being old...I have friends who like to brag about how they started playing during Alpha/Beta, and then quit when Revised came out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
(as well as several other cheap, dead CCGs)


Seems like it's harder to find these kind of cards anymore. I've been trying to acquire some old dead CCGs lately, just basically enough to have a few starters and try the game out, and they're either not being offered or the prices are going too high.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
pirate_chef wrote:
(as well as several other cheap, dead CCGs)


Seems like it's harder to find these kind of cards anymore. I've been trying to acquire some old dead CCGs lately, just basically enough to have a few starters and try the game out, and they're either not being offered or the prices are going too high.


A lot of the people who used to play those games reached nostalgia-age and started buying them up. Maybe I just got lucky and bought up my collection before the prices got really high.

I did luck into some cheap Kult cards (which are practically impossible to find, at any price), and a ton of Netrunner. I was never able to afford any Deadlands: Doomtown, Middle-earth, or Dune CCG, though.

WARS Trading Card Game, which is the successor to the Star Wars CCG, is still crazy cheap, though. It has gorgeous artwork, and some interesting and very cool mechanics. (Basically the same ruleset as the old Decipher Star Wars CCG.) Hill's Wholesale has a lot of 2 booster boxes and 6 decks for $20 right now, which is half off what I paid for them!

Oh, and Hecatomb is still fairly inexpensive, too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
dboeren wrote:
pirate_chef wrote:
(as well as several other cheap, dead CCGs)


Seems like it's harder to find these kind of cards anymore. I've been trying to acquire some old dead CCGs lately, just basically enough to have a few starters and try the game out, and they're either not being offered or the prices are going too high.


A lot of the people who used to play those games reached nostalgia-age and started buying them up. Maybe I just got lucky and bought up my collection before the prices got really high.

I did luck into some cheap Kult cards (which are practically impossible to find, at any price), and a ton of Netrunner. I was never able to afford any Deadlands: Doomtown, Middle-earth, or Dune CCG, though.


Old school Netrunner still fetches a decent price on eBay, despite the predictions of some that the market would dry up.

With the success of ANR, I'd bet that FFG is going to take a run at Doomtown, if it hasn't already started. The poker combat mechanic is far too good to leave confined to the dustbin of gaming history.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.