Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

P.I.» Forums » Variants

Subject: Two player scoring variant: More interesting scoring with 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A small variant to make the scoring more interesting with 2 players.

When the first player solves the case, finish the round as normal. If both players solved the case in the same round, they both score 7 points, as normal.

If only one player solved the case in that round, that player scores 7 points. Then, place the first player marker in the '5' score space.

EDIT: Whoops! The first player to solve the case score 7 points, obviously. Typo there.

The other player now gets another turn. If they solve the case on that turn, they score 5 points.

If they fail to solve the case, move the score marker down to the '3' space, and they get another chance to solve the case for 3 points.

Continue until the case reaches 0 points or the other player successfully solves the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game works very well with two player (allowing to "steal" cards in order to prevent the other player to get useful hints). Unfortunately the scoring is not that interesting with two players.
So every idea is very much appreciated.
I am not sure if I understand the propsed variant:

StormKnight wrote:

When the first player solves the case, finish the round as normal. If both players solved the case in the same round, they both score 7 points, as normal.

If only one player solved the case in that round, that player scores 5 points. Then, place the first player marker in the '5' score space.

The other player now gets another turn. If they solve the case on that turn, they score 5 points.

Both players would get 5 points although player 2 has had an additional turn? That does not seem fair?! Also not sure who is meant by "they"?
Maybe I am just not getting it...

StormKnight wrote:

If they fail to solve the case, move the score marker down to the '3' space, and they get another chance to solve the case for 3 points.

Continue until the case reaches 0 points or the other player successfully solves the case.

That sounds good.

I was thinking about the following scoring method for 2 players, which has not yet been tested:

During the first case you can earn a maximum of 3 points. If both players solve the case the same round both earn 3 points. If only player 1 solves the case, he gets 3 points. If player 2 solves the case the next turn he gets 1 point. If not, 0 points.
Second case 5 points can be earned. If player 2 needs an additional round to solve the case he gets 3 points, with two additional rounds he earns 1 point.
Same goes with case 3 where you can earn up to 7 points.

Any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Both players would get 5 points although player 2 has had an additional turn? That does not seem fair?! Also not sure who is meant by "they"?

Whoops! That doesn't make sense because I had a typo. Thanks for the catch.

The first player to solve the case always gets 7 points.

If both players solve the case in the same round, they both get 7 points.

The score for the player who did not solve the case first goes down by one column per turn after the other player has solved the case. So, 5 points on the following turn, then 3, 1, 0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_u_d_e_ wrote:
I was thinking about the following scoring method for 2 players, which has not yet been tested:

During the first case you can earn a maximum of 3 points. If both players solve the case the same round both earn 3 points. If only player 1 solves the case, he gets 3 points. If player 2 solves the case the next turn he gets 1 point. If not, 0 points.
Second case 5 points can be earned. If player 2 needs an additional round to solve the case he gets 3 points, with two additional rounds he earns 1 point.

Any other ideas?

While I like the concept of the second player getting one more turn to earn a point (otherwise zero), I don't understand the weighting of the successive cases by which the later the case, the more reward for solving it. Earning a second place 5 points in Case 3 is better than winning Case 1 for 3 points. Do I have that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

Whoops! That doesn't make sense because I had a typo. Thanks for the catch.

The first player to solve the case always gets 7 points.

If both players solve the case in the same round, they both get 7 points.

The score for the player who did not solve the case first goes down by one column per turn after the other player has solved the case. So, 5 points on the following turn, then 3, 1, 0.

Alright. At first I thought it must have been meant that way! Now I will give it a try. In the original rules if you lose the first 2 mini games it's over. Since you can't even get a draw anymore. With that rule now there is a draw (and even a victory although that would be quite hard) possible, if you lose the first two minigames (by one round each). This scoring mehtod might get even more interesting if you play 4 or 5 instead of 3 mini games. But how many investigators would you have? The ratio is 1.67 per mini game. So you would not reach an even number with 4 or 5 games. And 6 games might be a bit too long, especially with the restributing of all the tiles after each mini game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
D_u_d_e_ wrote:

Any other ideas?

While I like the concept of the second player getting one more turn to earn a point (otherwise zero), I don't understand the weighting of the successive cases by which the later the case, the more reward for solving it. Earning a second place 5 points in Case 3 is better than winning Case 1 for 3 points. Do I have that right?

OK, I just realise this is not adding anything to Brian's variant. I thought the ascending points would make it easier for one player to catch up in the last round. Not the case...
And you are right, the scoring would not be very logical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jfkoski
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple times we've tried it where the last person standing has a choice. If it's still the same round then they could guess for the same points as normal (fail = -2 penalty) or they can make one more play to get information. Next round they get a guess for the next lower points or pass (but 1 or 2 guesses is it - no more playing). Likewise, if you became the last person standing after your turn, then you get 1 more guess for the lesser points, but no more plays.

So in a 2-player game, if you went first and the other player is out at 7, you still have a chance to guess for either 5 points or -2, or pass for 0.

This can work with 3+ players, as well. The point being that the person who goes last in a round has the advantage of knowing if everyone previously has finished. But the person who went first might not know that everyone later in the order could solve that round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Millo Millo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone explain to me this variant?

with 2P:
- my opponent solve the case and put the token in 7 Point Space

-I can't solve the case then perform an action to investigate and put my token in 5 Point Space

-I try to solve the case and i fail, now i have to put my token in 3 point space but I still have to take the point of penalty of -2 for the error?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Millo76 wrote:

-I try to solve the case and i fail, now i have to put my token in 3 point space but I still have to take the point of penalty of -2 for the error?

I hope I'm answering this correctly - I haven't played PI in a while (I should remedy that!)

Yes, you would still take the penalty to trying to solve the case and failing.

Essentially you just get to keep taking turns as normal, with the point value you get from solving the case dropping each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
So does P.I. work with two well? What's the verdict on this variant, is it a must?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.