Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's doable even though each opponent uses a deck of cards to deternine their actions each turn. I'll be interested in hearing from those who've tried playing it solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a single solo game and it was ok. I used a method someone described here on the forum.

Basically I built both sides competitively and played order cards face-up. I chose to play as the U.S. as my active force, playing turns as normal.

For the Germans, I would not draw a hand of cards. When it was time to flip the card for the current phase, I would draw cards off the top of the Action deck until I drew a card which met one of the actions for the phase. I would then play out the two turns (U.S. and German) as if I was playing both sides - trying to make the best move possible.

I calculated initiative as normal, counting how many cards the German player should have if I was playing normally. It worked fine, and will let you learn the game and have some fun.

It's not a particularly dynamic game solo and I find with these rules it's probably not worth playing it very often as a solo experience (maybe the setup/prep was shorter it would be). I'd much rather pull out Mage Knight or Thunderbolt Apache Leader. However, I did outline a rough idea for a more dynamic solo system in the variant forums that I think would add a great deal to the solo gameplay. Also, solo designed scenarios would go a long way towards improving the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If solo is your thing at this scale (squads of individual soldiers), then I'd recommend getting your hands on Ambush or Battle Hymn if you can find them anywhere. They're my favorite solo WWII games and are done very well, IMO.

BGG link to Ambush (ETO)...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1608/ambush

BGG link to Battle Hymn (PTO)...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1666/battle-hymn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw, there are some solo possibilities in early formative stage right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:

Great! This is really good to hear.

I would presently recommend NUTS! for solo at this man-to-man scale. The Chain Reaction system is intended for solo play and the results are excellent. The new minis set out of Italy, Operation Squad, also work pretty well solo as declaring actions/reaction still requires a roll to determine order of these things actually happening, based on individual soldier stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what this is worth I still have played more solitaire games of SMG than with "real" opponents. It works,although some of the tension is gone.

One thing I do to keep it interesting is to have the Initiative side plan its actions first. Also, I am somewhat absent minded so forgetting what I have planned is easy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:

I would presently recommend NUTS! for solo at this man-to-man scale. The Chain Reaction system is intended for solo play and the results are excellent.

I'd second this suggestion as well, it's a great game and you can use your SMG minis to play it. Especially if you magnetize the bases like I did. I really need to take some pics to post in that thread.

kduke wrote:

Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
There are solitaire scenarios included in the terrain expansions.

Hasty Positions has one solitaire scenario involving taking out a German machine gun nest (requires Day of Days, Road to Carentan and a German with MG42 to play)

Pontigou Farm has three solitaire scenarios, all requiring Day of Days (of course); two also require La Fière Bridge and the third requires Road to Carentan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Perrone
Italy
FORLI'
flag msg tools
Non prevalebunt!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If solo is your thing at this scale (squads of individual soldiers), then I'd recommend getting your hands on Ambush or Battle Hymn if you can find them anywhere. They're my favorite solo WWII games and are done very well, IMO.

I literally worn my copies game after game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Perrone
Italy
FORLI'
flag msg tools
Non prevalebunt!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Great to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Perrone
Italy
FORLI'
flag msg tools
Non prevalebunt!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would presently recommend NUTS! for solo at this man-to-man scale. The Chain Reaction system is intended for solo play and the results are excellent. The new minis set out of Italy, Operation Squad, also work pretty well solo as declaring actions/reaction still requires a roll to determine order of these things actually happening, based on individual soldier stats.

The fact is that I have no time nor space to paint minis, build dioramas, search an opponent interested in same ruleset, so it seems to me that "Sergeants" was a good compromise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is how I play solo.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/11402827#1140287

Non AI player places all three action phase cards.

AI story card play. See Hold ability if a HIDE story card is revealed and a soldier has a hold ability.

On the first phase the "AI" player draws an action from his deck at start of the phase until one matches the story card.
On the second phase select from one already revealed or continue to draw.
On the third phase reveal all and select the most advantageous.

HOLD ability

Before playing the first story card check if a LOOK card for a soldier with a hold ability is in the hand.
Play that card in the correct phase putting aside the card you would like to hold based on most favourable to AI player.
Checking that you can still fill the other phases.
Shuffle the remaining cards and play on empty action phase at start of each phase as above.

Play the action for the AI side in the most favourable way, this is normally quite obvious, given the action cards, use a dice to decide choices if you are not sure.

NOTE for initiative purposes treat the AI hand as though the action cards have been placed.

Any thoughts and improvements are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
centurio68 wrote:
Quote:

The fact is that I have no time nor space to paint minis, build dioramas, search an opponent interested in same ruleset, so it seems to me that "Sergeants" was a good compromise...

You can get the, "Nuts!" PDF for $18.00 and use your, "Sergeants Miniatures Game" minis to play. You can use each SMG guys stats and cards to extrapolate characteristics you think they'd have (in Nuts!) and still keep their same flavor (they have in SMG).

Think of it as an $18.00 expansion until SMG releases their own solitaire rules. (Which I'd buy immediately). Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrizio Perrone
Italy
FORLI'
flag msg tools
Non prevalebunt!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You can get the, "Nuts!" PDF for $18.00 and use your, "Sergeants Miniatures Game" minis to play

Yes! That was my idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance King
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
I think it plays fairly well solo as the order cards force the two sides to make different tactical choices. Last game the Germans had to hold the crossroads and the Americans had to kill half of the Germans. I could tactically play each side basing my decisions on the orders. I don't want a random system telling me what to do. So I hope the solitaire module does not do that.

In my game, both sides fulfilled their orders but I decided that the Americas would withdraw (need a morale / withdrawal rule) since they were down 4 out of 6 men AND had fulfilled their orders (in theory I knew that but the men had spotted 6 Germans and killed three so they knew too). Germans won by three ponts only because they killed the American leader on the second to last turn.

Two hour and seven turns of solitaire fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shijuro wrote:
There are solitaire scenarios included in the terrain expansions.

Hasty Positions has one solitaire scenario involving taking out a German machine gun nest (requires Day of Days, Road to Carentan and a German with MG42 to play)

Pontigou Farm has three solitaire scenarios, all requiring Day of Days (of course); two also require La Fière Bridge and the third requires Road to Carentan.

Can anyone tell me how these Solitaire scenarios work? Does it offer suggestions on how to play the defender's order cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.