Hide
12 Posts

Julius Caesar» Forums » General

Subject: About to order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viet Tran
msg tools
Wow. I'm usually have a bvery bad case of analysis paralysis when buying games and I think it over for about two weeks until I eventually don't buy the game lol. But after researching JC I think I'm going to buy it after 1 night of research. Everything about it looks good. I'm looking for a high strategic/tactical game where you slowly take over a "map" and once the game is over and you lost you can say man I lost because of a few dumb moves here let's play again! And based on the reviews this is that game

I've been looking into Hannibal RvC. But have been hesitant to pull the trigger. This will be my first "wargame" although I do play table top games like warhammer and warmachine and loads of other warlike board games

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any info I should know, be hesitant about or anything that might persuade me one way or another on my decision

This game is rather pricey and hard to find.

Thanks! Hopefully ill be giving session reports soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Some are put off by the unmounted board.

Otherwise, I think you're in a good position to enjoy this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree! This is a wonderful game with lots of replayability and different strategies.

I can't think of a better candidate for a first wargame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps my review will help tip your decision one way or the other...

[Roger's Reviews] Alea Iacta Est!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
i will check that out when i get home definitely! thanks for the posts

Yeah i just wanted to mention that i dont have a lot of 1 on 1 gaming people, and most of them arent wargamers per se. That might be one of the things that gravitated me towards this game and pushed me away from hannibal RvC (for now) the rules seem simple to understand and streamlined without the numerous exceptions i would have to remember in other wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
A beautiful and wonderful game. Simple and yet some deep strategy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vietbtran wrote:
I'm looking for a high strategic/tactical game where you slowly take over a "map" and once the game is over and you lost you can say man I lost because of a few dumb moves here let's play again!

You probably will want to play again... but just be aware that the game can run for a couple of hours, so it depends how long your gaming session is! This game can also be over very quickly, depending on what strategies the players use, and the rolls they get. But, it's likely to run for 60-90 minutes, in my experience.

It's a great game with very nice components, lots of re-playability, depth, elegance, and with little player down time. The only downside is that it's a little pricey for the components you get, but only in comparison to games with much larger print runs (and the components themselves are very nice, even if the map isn't mounted). And that's the only real criticism I can think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Menzel
United States
Black Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vietbtran wrote:
Wow. I'm usually have a bvery bad case of analysis paralysis when buying games and I think it over for about two weeks until I eventually don't buy the game lol. But after researching JC I think I'm going to buy it after 1 night of research. Everything about it looks good. I'm looking for a high strategic/tactical game where you slowly take over a "map" and once the game is over and you lost you can say man I lost because of a few dumb moves here let's play again! And based on the reviews this is that game

I've been looking into Hannibal RvC. But have been hesitant to pull the trigger. This will be my first "wargame" although I do play table top games like warhammer and warmachine and loads of other warlike board games

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any info I should know, be hesitant about or anything that might persuade me one way or another on my decision

This game is rather pricey and hard to find.

Thanks! Hopefully ill be giving session reports soon

Excellent choice! JC was my first wargame, and I still play it regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought it a few weeks ago (my first wargame too) and have managed to play it twice. Have thoroughly enjoyed both games thus far, so have no regrets. If you assess the value of a game by the quantity of wood and cardboard in the box then you might be disappointed - it is extremely expensive in those terms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Soutter
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
Look, you've got nothing to say and you're saying it too loudly. So...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an excellent gateway into more complex block-based wargames, and I highly recommend it. Columbia has never disappointed me with a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll want a committed opponent. If you have someone in mind make sure they are committed to playing the game from both sides over and over. the game does not taste good played once because someone usually gets slaughtered. A committed gaming buddy is a must.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have and have played many Columbia games, and this would rank as one of my top ones for a fun and challenging game experience relative to time spent playing. A good first Columbia game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.