Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about trying to collect enough of them to make something with. Heck, even Settlers would be much improved by locking hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was momentarily confused by them myself. [head scratch] I checked the rules and set them aside. Great game. I'm really enjoying the it -- esp. that it's middleweight, rather than heavy or light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've considered adding them to the stack. When a person draws one he places it, but it is considered "Quagmire" or "swamp." Nothing may be built on it, but it can be traversed. Thus, in effect, the player's tribe is then placed on the Swamp, but nothing more. Further, entering a swamp forces the tribe to immediately stop. Other tribes may still move if you have MPs left. A tribe which starts their turn on a Swamp may move off the Swamp, but it costs 2 MPs to move off. However, he gets a card (not considered an action) for his troubles.

Obviously, lots of varients can be made of this varient as their are several components here to fiddle with:
1. Discovery: The tribe discovering the Swamp has to stop on the Swamp and
may move no further that turn, though other tribes may move if MPs
remain -
2. After Discovery: Any tribe entering an already discovered Swamp must
stop upon entering and move no further that turn
3. Moving Off a Swamp: Tribes starting a turn in a Swamp may move off with
a cost of 2 MPs -
4. Tribes moving off of a Swamp get a "free" card.

Just an idea I've been toying with. If you try it or modify it, let me know - I'd be interested in feedback.

Frank Hamrick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Obviously, lots of varients can be made of this varient as their are several components here to fiddle with:
1. Discovery: The tribe discovering the Swamp has to stop on the Swamp and
may move no further that turn, though other tribes may move if MPs
remain -
2. After Discovery: Any tribe entering an already discovered Swamp must
stop upon entering and move no further that turn
3. Moving Off a Swamp: Tribes starting a turn in a Swamp may move off with
a cost of 2 MPs -
4. Tribes moving off of a Swamp get a "free" card.

Frank - The swamp is a good concept! I like item (1) (2) and (3) because they add to the risk of exploration... and adds tension to the game. I imagine that "bannishment" to a swamp would become a common tactic though... thus making bannishment more powerful.

I'm not sure why you added item (4) though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how we use the extra hexes... this has gone through several generations and significant playtesting. It really adds a lot to the game.

Wormholes

The three extra blank tiles each represent a "wormhole". Indicate this by drawing a big twilight-zone spiral on each one.

A wormhole represents a fixed teleport location that players may use to teleport a tribe to another wormhole tile at no movement point cost. Use of the teleport feature of the wormhole is optional; however, if a tribe enters a pre-existing wormhole and then exits the SAME wormhole during the same turn, it costs them an EXTRA movement point to do so. The effect is to increase the cost of traversing a wormhole to 2 movement points unless it is used to teleport. A tribe that starts its turn on a wormhole is not required to pay any additional movement cost to leave it – so ending one turn on a wormhole and then starting the next turn there is the only way to avoid paying the extra movement point for traversing it.

When drawn, a wormhole hex is placed on any board-edge except the location where the player originally intended to place it. After it is placed, the tribe that discovered it is placed on top of it and may continue movement normally or immediately teleport to another wormhole hex at no additional cost.

Villages and Holy Places may not be placed in wormhole hexes. Resources that are dropped by a tribe while on a wormhole are removed from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.