brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jaxommm wrote:
Would it make for a better game if there was no bidding for winter tiles, and therefore no one could bid higher than you for your tile and mess up your end-of-game strategy? I wouldn't want to play this way all of the time, but do you think it might work? What do you think of the winter bid?

The whole game is about bidding. The winter tiles aren't "yours" but a means to give you just a little inside information about what will be available. I think it would be a step in the wrong direction to just gives these away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the enjoyment I get from the game is trying to set up which of the Winter tiles that I can see will I want to acquire and how to ensure that I can win that bid.

The whole purpose is to add some strategy to an otherwise tactical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here are two problems that you would have to overcome to make this even remotely viable.

1) How do players "pay" for their tile? The auction is establishing a fair market value for them. You can't just give these away either as players have a choice to keep between 1 and X (where X is the number of players). There would also be a disadvantage if one person kept 1 while another kept multiple.

2) How do you block someone from taking something that is a sure fire win tile for them? That is the other thing that the auction accomplishes. One final push to stop them. The present game handles this in two steps - preventing the tile from even being in play (when you discard it) and second by driving up the price, if not outright winning it away from the person that hoped to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jaxommm wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jaxommm wrote:
Would it make for a better game if there was no bidding for winter tiles, and therefore no one could bid higher than you for your tile and mess up your end-of-game strategy? I wouldn't want to play this way all of the time, but do you think it might work? What do you think of the winter bid?

The whole game is about bidding. The winter tiles aren't "yours" but a means to give you just a little inside information about what will be available. I think it would be a step in the wrong direction to just gives these away.

Yes, yes...that is why it is called a "variant"...I know how the game works!

My questions was, would it be FUN to play a variant on the game in which the winter tiles are handed out as agendas that go into play during the winter. I love the official version. I just wondered if this variant would work. I tried it tonight. It works just fine actually!

You haven't offered a variant at all. What are the rules? How are the tiles handed out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jaxommm wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jaxommm wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jaxommm wrote:

Yes, yes...that is why it is called a "variant"...I know how the game works!

My questions was, would it be FUN to play a variant on the game in which the winter tiles are handed out as agendas that go into play during the winter. I love the official version. I just wondered if this variant would work. I tried it tonight. It works just fine actually!

You haven't offered a variant at all. What are the rules? How are the tiles handed out?

Umm, DUH!

It is clear I am suggesting that all the rules are the same as in-game but your winter tiles go directly into play. That is A VARIANT! You already know how the winter tiles are handed out!

How many? All of them that are handed out? You just said they can't out bid you. What is your bid? Zero? There are lots of rules you are glossing over during the end game condition.

Your clarity is underwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're going to discover is that the winter tiles are actually not balanced, and that the person who gets handed a valuable and easy-to-meet objective for free will win.

If that's your thing, fine.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
I think he sailed off to another New World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.