Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Can anyone recommend some good, easy to learn, cheap web design software? I've tried iWeb, and it has issues with how it assigns URLs to internal links that make it unusable for my purpose. I've also tried DreamWeaver, and the learning curve is way too steep for the amount of time that I have to put into this.

I need something that is relatively straightforward and that will easily allow me to update the site. This is not something I would use all of the time. I'll be designing a site, then maybe once a month, add a few updates. Once a year, there will be many updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of a site? If it's bloggy, Wordpress is a good online option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's not. It's a site that will have information about a program, contact information for people, some pictures, a calendar (I was going to embed a Google Calendar that we already have), some downloadable forms, very few external links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a book (US$30) called 1 Hour Website (publisher: Wiley) three or four years ago; you can them (used, I assume) from Amazon for $0.65 now, apparently.

It came with a CD full of templates, and step-by-step instructions how to copy and then customize them for a myriad of uses.

It worked pretty darned well for me, and I'm no html whiz, I can assure you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wordpress still may work, and the basic service is free. A buddy of mine who does website design and graphics for a living loves it.

It's not difficult and has a WYSIWYG editor. The link embedding is really easy, too. I use it all the time for work and other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've already got a certain server and domain name that it must be stored/viewed on. Can Wordpress be used to design a site, then save it elsewhere? I'm guessing no... but maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Totally agree on Wordpress.

There are templates available (cheap or free), that allow you to make it look not at all blog-like.

My wife designed this site for a group she plays with: http://sacabuche.com/ with a $30 template.

And she's not at all a technical person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

I've already got a certain server and domain name that it must be stored/viewed on. Can Wordpress be used to design a site, then save it elsewhere? I'm guessing no... but maybe?

Yes. You can either host through wordpress or on your own host.

www.2d6.org is all hosted through a third party and uses Wordpress.

http://atlantabaroque.org/ is also Wordpress based.

I'd recommend using the free wordpress hosting to see if it does what you'd like and then port it to your own host.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

I don't think Wordpress can do that. It needs to be connected to a specific backend database. edit: yes, you can host it yourself, but needs the backend support.

If you need something pretty simple I'm happy to create something for you. From what you posted it doesn't sound too complicated or time consuming. Let me know.

edit2: I fully agree, though, that if wordpress is an option for you, use it. It makes updates and such very easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I'd respond, but we have been discussing on fb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Yes. You can either host through wordpress or on your own host.

www.2d6.org is all hosted through a third party and uses Wordpress.

http://atlantabaroque.org/ is also Wordpress based.

I'd recommend using the free wordpress hosting to see if it does what you'd like and then port it to your own host.

My webcomic is hosted somewhere (i really don't know where, my buddy set it up), but it runs on Wordpress. The company I write for as a contractor has it as their backend, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I'd respond, but we have been discussing on fb.

Oh, all the cool kids... I'll just go over with the other kids that pick their noses and eat my lunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.