California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the quantity of ads to be excessive - over 50% of the space
in a typical page is either google ads or bgg's internal ads. Is
it really necessary to have ads on all four sides of the page and
interspersed with the content too???

I find the embedded ads especially annoying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Sinclair
Australia
Blue Mountains
N.S.W.
flag msg tools
I agree. The embedded ads are a pain. Presumably BGG makes money on click throughs and with Aldie quitting his job the economic imperative is stronger than ever.

(Actually I would love to have seen the conversation where Aldie tells his wife the bold new plan. Puts the moaning of those people who bewail their partners complaints at their latest game purchases into perspective. For my part I will spare you details of the marital conversation in which I suggest spending 15US on becoming a supporter, but the words "finish thesis" and "get job" recur at regular intervals.)

But I wonder if the embedded ads (in the front page especially) are effective. I suspect the new design has overshot the sweet spot for advertising where ads generate click throughs without putting off additional traffic.

For my part I sometimes click through on the banner and sidebar ads but the embedded ones are soo intrusive that my efforts are devoted to filtering them out so I can discern the content. I suspect intrusive ads are counterproductive in both senses. Reducing traffic because they are annoying and reducing clickthroughs because they need to be actively ignored.

I sincerely hope that the embedded ads go, though I respect the fact that the site must make enough money to re-imburse the admins for their efforts.

In short I hope the admins keep track of their income generation and see if the embedded ads really do pay their way (and don't assume that if income has gone up it's due to the embedded ads without being able to trace where precisely those click throughs come from).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.