John Munsch
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're setting the gaming menu for an evening would you go in this order?

Revolution
At the Gates of Loyang
Dixit Odyssey

I can see trying to work people through games of increasing conflict or decreasing or worrying more about complexity and not conflict at all. How do you do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually start with something with light-medium weight, then go up to medium-heavy. As the evening goes down, we tend to choose lighter games again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I always preferred putting the big ticket item as early
as possible. Less likely to get cancelled that way.

Lighter fare would never be pre-arranged though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any new games being taught up front, then any that are "must play" that night for whatever reason, then heavier -> lighter based on time the rest of the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Kaiser
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsant wrote:
Any new games being taught up front, then any that are "must play" that night for whatever reason, then heavier -> lighter based on time the rest of the way.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depends if there's alcohol at the party. If so then start heavy and finish light ! otherwise I'd go with medium followed by heavy and finish light.we've just had a 3 day gaming 'week-end' and have found this to be the recipe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I like my menu to start off and end with a big juicy steak. Skip the salad, and the cheesecake. Hence a good 3-5 hour behemoth of a game worthy of a multi-day afterthought and discussion. I'll save the fluff to play on my iphone before falling asleep at night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ryan leonard
Canada
flag msg tools
I alternate complexity/length. Start with something complex then give everyone's brain a break with a quick easy game before jumping into another complex game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abismald wrote:
dsant wrote:

This.

Close.

Used to be we'd play all familiar games (to save time), OR
one new game and then a short familiar game to fill any remaining time.

Now, we pick out a new game, and try to get through it as many times as we can, and then move to fillers. This gives us a chance to make sure the first game wasn't entirely luck, or to explore tactics/strategies we couldn't because we were just learning, and to better situate the rule in our heads, even though we know we're going to have to relearn them later anyway.

The only exception is if we all hate the new game. Then one play is enough, and we go back to a moderately complex favorite before moving to a filler.

If we have time before everyone shows up, we typically just converse rather than play fillers for fewer people. To me, it's just not fun having to put a game away halfway through because the rest of the folks showed up, or to make the folks who were working late wait for us to finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
abismald wrote:
dsant wrote:

This.

These, for sure. We had been opperaring on a "1 new, 1 favorite, 1 revisit and 1 random" as a minimum baseline but we've moved a bit from that. We also play more games in a night than most

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.