Hide
8 Posts

The New Science» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game Breaking Card Power? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Squared
msg tools
I played a 4 person game and within the 3rd turn one player got a very powerful card. The card allowed for moving any of their action cubes after all players have gone, assuming it was a legal move. This led to what I think is a pretty game breaking strategy.

The player would place their first action cube on the full points publish. Then every one followed action cube placing normally. However before resolving the action cubes this player (due to the card) can move any or all of their cubes. This allowed for the player to always claim the final rest action ensuring 1st position and thus ensuring always getting the publishing position. With the added benefit of leaving it blank if they had nothing to publish and not wasting an action. In the 4 person game the only other publish is for half value. This ensured they won the game.

We talked about it after the game. The easiest resolution we see is remove the card or disallow getting 1st position from a moved cube. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
notmuchtosay wrote:
This allowed for the player to always claim the final rest action ensuring 1st position...

Incorrect. During resolution, first position on rest gets you first player. Second position on rest gets you second player. Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What George said. If you want to move first next turn, you have to get in there first, but that probably means giving up something good this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny. We had a game where one player took this card and ended up never using it. He said that be thought it was going to be useful but was frustrated that he never found a good use for it. That's when we told him that we thought he was going to be blocking us out of the full publishing space.

Hard to say (after only 1 of 3 plays that the card came up) how powerful it will end up being. Definitely not game breaking as it is if you mess up the rest/turn order rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Squared
msg tools
Darn it. I mis-read/interpreted the rules. Checking again, they state you place you marker on the highest empty rest number and then turn order is set highest to lowest. Which is effectively the same thing you just said, but your version makes much more sense intuitively.

I was playing place you marker on the LOWEST open number and then set turn order from highest to lowest number. This made sense to me as this allowed whomever was last turn to claim rest to flip turn order. There is really no reason for the way it is worded. I'll play your way from now on. Place rest on lowest and lowest goes first next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notmuchtosay wrote:
I'll play your way from now on.

I don't think there's any question that "his" way is the only correct way to play. After thinking about it a bit though, I see where your confusion came from. I have the same problem every year at NCAA tournament time: "I hope my team gets a high seed this year. You know, like number one. Wait a minute...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Squared
msg tools
Shmello50 wrote:
notmuchtosay wrote:
I'll play your way from now on.

I don't think there's any question that "his" way is the only correct way to play."

Yeah, I was certainly playing incorrectly. I think filling the highest number first is just confusing even if it is technically correct (which is the best kind of correct). Especially since it is then filling from right to left and resolving from right to left. It is just so counter intuitive to me and didn't need to be worded that way. I'm going to play filling from the lower number and whomever is on rest 1 gets to go first. It is funny how what can be obvious to one is confusing to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also put the first one on the left at number one. That's what I was getting at with the tournament seeding comment. Number one (the best) seed is called the "highest" seed even though it's the lowest number. I think that was how the rulebook led you astray.

I think you'll like the tough decisions the rest/turn order selection creates. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.