Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Hinerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm going to be hosting my first Circus Maximus event this evening and have a question for you all.

I've heard that the game can take upwards of 3 hours as the rules currently have it - I've seen the post about the 2 lap race (and haven't read it yet) but I've also watched the videos posted here. In it he says that he does a lap and a half, basically, doing 2 corners and 3 straights.

If I were to do that - two corners and 3 straights, What changes would you suggest for endurance and horse speeds?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest multiplying the Endurance by .5 and the Team Speed by .75
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Trostle
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a special set of kid's rules for CM for a convention some years back. It was a lap and a half, everyone had the same stats: Team Speed 18, 0 driver, and 60 endurance, theoretically giving them a max of 10 whips per race. Still enough math and decision making to engage them, while giving everyone the same chance.

This is a lot more simple than you probably need for a quick race -- but my point is, short of capping the endurance at a lower number, I wouldn't change anything else about the stats. After all, the point of a shorter race is you can finish it faster, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hinerman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We went ahead and just cut the endurance in half and kept the rest of the stats the same for the reason you just mentioned JP.

It still took us about 2.5 hours to get through a lap and a half, but I'm sure that was because no one had played before and I was the only one that had read the rules. A lot of "so what does this do again?" type questions and having to let everyone know what all the tables looked like, etc. I'm sure we could have gotten through it a bit faster if everyone knew what was going on.

Interesting side note - there was only really 2 or three real attacks at the beginning of the game where players didn't just swerve out of the way. This made us feel that swerving (evasion) was really over powered and it seems kind of broken. "I'm not going to take this attack, so I'm just going to spend a few movement points to get out of the way." The person that won the race never was attacked and never attacked anyone, despite coming out of the 1st corner in 3rd or 4th.

The guy in a very close 2nd or 1st even, killed a horse going into the second corner by 1 speed over - wasn't super thrilled about that.

It was an interesting game, and I'd like to get it out again, but with all the games we usually playtest/etc, it'll be interesting to see when that happens.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.