Popular Tags: [View All]
J Kosec
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg and I continued the Memoir '44 battles that we had begun last year on the first day of 2006. We chose Sword Beach, the next scenario in the book, and I set up as the Germans for the first round.

The best thing about messing up the rules on a match play is that both sides get to deal with the same mistakes. This time we counted the ocean hexes as a water hex, which is technically correct, but we missed the part where your terrain movement penalty applies essentially only to the terrain INTO which you move, not the one on which you currently sit (in other words, you use beach movement rules when moving from the ocean to the beach, and not ocean rules). It made some sort of sense when we started out, but that sense broke down once we started playing, as it meant the Allies had an especial tough time of things.

As it turned out, in Round 1, with Greg controlling the Allies, he was not only hampered by our stringent ocean movement interpretation of the rules, but also by a general lack of cards which stranded his forces, first in the water and then on the beach. Meanwhile, my artillery pieces were able to pound him repeatedly, so by the time he was able to work his way past the hedgehogs he had already been beaten to smithereens. My bunker troops were able to pick off everyone who actually made headway on the beach, so by the time his armor or British Commandos were in range I had claimed my last victory medal. Justin: 5, Greg: 0

In Round 2 I faced the same movement restrictions, as previously noted, and Greg repayed the favor by beating the snot out of my armor, which never made it out of the water. I was able to focus my assault on the flank with Riva Bella, and while I made litte more headway than did Greg I poured my efforts into grabbing a single victory medal, pulling the center-flank Commandos to the left and pushing past the bunker to force a casualty and a victory medal. Greg polished me off before I could get much further, though, so the final score stayed fairly close: Greg: 5, Justin: 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.