Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Romero
United States
Whittier
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh it's warmed the cockles of my heart to see so much work going into all of these. I'll follow suit and dedicate a thread to the challenge I must embark on. I'm making a Character for
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

"I'd like to see a character designed who can ante tokens to add "After Activating: Repeat this attack." (It probably doesn't need to specifically happen as an After Activating trigger--End of Beat, for example, would probably work as well.)"

Now I've looked at Nate's thread on his design process, and it's certainly extensive, and sounds rather similar to my thought process. So, since I don't have a concrete idea yet, I'll be floating some concept ideas here, and perhaps the beginnings of a character will have formed by the end of this post.

My challenge leaves me with a large chunk of the UA already written, with everything else to be designed by me. My first thought with a character in Battlecon is usually "Who can this compare to, out of the existing roster?"

I can only think of Luc Von Gott's one style, that allows him an attack repetition. Clearly, this line of thinking doesn't seem as if it's much help. However, I've already developed a base idea. Luc Is a rather zippy little fellow, so I want to work in contrast to that.

This Character will be a beefy slowpoke.

The immediate next thought is how I'm going to balance a strong character who can throw two attacks out in one turn. My solution to this problem, will be utilizing a mechanic that isn't used too often in the game: Unrecoverable tokens. In this regard, this protocharacter will immediately draw comparisons to Cadenza.

Where Cadenza steadily plows through the enemy, I plan to make this character a high risk character, who only has limited opportunities to heavily strike the opponent. Following this thinking, it will be important to make all of the bases good candidates for token use. Therefore, the token use may come with a drawback, perhaps reducing stun guard.

So, in summary, we have a slow, heavy hitting character, with limited opportunities to rip the opponent to shreds. In addition, our character is particularly vulnerable on the turns it decides to use the tokens. This leaves us with our next step:

Making sure those double attacks are absolutely devastating!

Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for the record, Hecketch also has a style that allows him to attack twice, Psycho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Romero
United States
Whittier
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, back on the horse.

I've crunched a lot more of the character, and trust me, I am very pleased with the challenge so far. Looking for further inspiration to the character, it suddenly clicked, and the design took off. One of my favorites in Guilty Gear, ABBA, sort of commanded this character's other big gimmick.

Our character, she's a bit of a slowpoke, and hits like a truck. She has a few opportunities to absolutely demolish her opponent though, with incredibly high risks. Bia (Our lovely character's name) has a simple UA, but most of her finesse lies within her styles. You'll notice most of her styles inflict damage on herself, or inflict severe penalties. Bia will not be part of prolonged matches. Someone is going to die, and die quickly.

When looking at raw stats, Bia is most reminiscent of Cadenza, stripped of nearly all of his defensive options, replaced with mobility tools. Bia's unique base is her big mind game tool, and hopefully you'll find it fun.

So Nate, I hope you enjoy the tenative character. Your challenge's requirements don't fuel the very core of the character, but they do provide her with some enormous, threatening beats.

So, without further ado... the character hasn't been tested at all yet, so this is all up in the air, but here's the tenative character!

Bia Sanguine
Relentless Berserker
Unique Ability: Bloodthirst
Bia begins a duel with 2 bloodlust tokens. Bia may ante 1 token to gain "After Activating: Repeat This Attack". During a beat in which Bia antes a bloodthirst token, her style and base provides her 0 stun guard, instead of what it would normally provide.

STYLES

Furious
+0
+3
BA: Advance until you are adjacent to an opponent. Lose life equal to the number of spaces moved.
EoB: You are stunned during the next beat.

Desperate
+0
+0
+0
EoB: You gain X Stun Guard next beat, where X is the amount of damage you took from opponents this beat.

Reckless
+0~1
+2
BA, Range 1: Lose 2 life.
On Damage: Pull opponent until they are adjacent.

Stir Crazy
+0
+2
SoB: Lose X life. Retreat X spaces.
BA: Lose Y life. Advance Y spaces.

Cathartic
+0
+0
Stun Guard 2
On Hit: Recover 1 life.
EoB: Recover 1 life.

Unique Base

Break
Stun Guard 1
This attack only activates if Bia is stunned.
Before Activating: Advance 1 space. Lose 1 life.

She doesn't have any finishers yet. I'll get to work on those

Break functions as a counter, and is her main mindgame tool, basically inverting battlecons stun system. It has a very small barrier to overcome (stun guard 1) But it can allow her to strike with her very strong styles at almost any time.

Bia has 2 chances per duel to make some very insane power plays, and if they are played well, she will rip the opponents to shreds. This is mitigated by the stun guard penalty associated with the tokens.

This is an extremely volatile character, and she'll probably need to be toned down.

Bia's opening beat is a particularly terrifying decision for an opponent, as it's a strong moment to play a bloodlust token. I imagine a Bia player will opt for a Furious Strike, or a Furious Break, putting the opponent in a very ugly bind. Furious combos extremely well with Desperate, and Break, and may result in Bia having a very dictated rotation.

Still, I thought you'd all be interested in seeing the early formation of the character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

Break definitely brings this all together. With Break, she doesn't CARE if she's stunned out--in fact, she's deliberately trying to get stunned!

Bloodlusted Furious Strike into bloodlusted Stir Crazy Break is going to be GG for an opponent who doesn't see it coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Romero
United States
Whittier
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering tweaking Stir Crazy, because right now, it exists as a miniature Furious. I like the start of beat retreat, as it offers Bia options to mitigate damage, but I feel as if the advancing movement is far too similar to Furious.

I'm glad you noticed Bloodlust Furious Strike-->Bloodlust Stir Crazy Break. That was my biggest concern looking at raw numbers. Still, landing a Bloodlust Furious strike is extremely difficult. A move with stun guard 0 and priority 0 is going to have issues getting out of the gate.

I imagine Bia will pop a bloodlust token whenever Desperate gives a strong stun guard boost. The opponent has to make excellent use of their dashes in these duels. They need to Deny Bia the chance to develop a gigantic stun guard via Relentless, and obviously, they need to avoid the slaughterhouse beats.

Just for the record, Reckless has it's nasty penalty because it's a relatively fast move for Bia, with a very high power. I'm hoping the BA makes using bloodlust with it a risky proposition.

Bloodlust Reckless Grasp may see use as well, given that it's relatively fast for what it does. (8 Damage)

So, anyway Nate, this is a character crafted by your challenge. Anything you'd like to see implemented? I'll probably start little tests soon for natural tweaks, so I'd love to have your input.

Also, Finisher Ideas.

Violent Inspiration
On Hit: Recover all of your Bloodlust tokens.

Lacerate, Mutilate, Devastate
EoB: Repeat this attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're on the right track. Although the Cathartic style seems pretty odd when compared to the rest of her options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Romero
United States
Whittier
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly does seem odd.
Cathartic is a hold over from her earliest forms. It allows her mitigate the damage she's doing to herself, but that's not quite in the spirit of the character. Bia's preparation turns are few, consisting almost solely of Desperate and every character's option of dashing.

So in considering a new style, we need to observe what her current styles accomplish.

Furious is the core of this character, hitting like a truck, closing distance, and setting up a break.

Desperate looks bland in the numbers department, but as her fastest style, it serves purposes beyond setting up a strong stun guard for the next beat. While it won't take advantage of the EoB effect, this style can allow rare opportunities to outprioritize the opponent.

Reckless gives range, relative speed, and solid power to Bia. A very strong style, as it's weakness can be avoided fairly easily.

Stir Crazy gives spacing options galore, at the expense of life.

This final style would still appreciate to be a relatively faster style, so I think I'll keep it at -1, or 0. Bia also lacks a style with +1 power. Let's see what we can do with something in that statistical range. This style would replace Cathartic

Flailing
+0
+1
Stun Guard 2
Reveal: Anted Bloodlust tokens have no effect, and are returned to your pool.

Bia already has two major options when she's got a turn where she's getting stunned (Desperate, Break.) and an option to avoid many attacks (Stir crazy). Flailing introduces a tool to harass characters who have particular strengths during the ante phase. On it's own, flailing is of particular note as it comes with none of Bia's usual downsides. The light stun guard is here to provide some use when the tokens are exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.