Subject: What are we doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a 3-player game of WoH. It took us a little bit more than 3 HOURS! This is outrageous! cry

I am almost 100% that we are playing it the right way, we almost never look into rulebook for some questionable situations. Even if we are doing something wrong I doubt that it would lengthen the game this much. It is too much, I wanted a game that would last max 2 hours.

Is it maybe because we were trying to prevent each other to much things, like allying in the way to prevent the attacker from winning almost every time. There were only about 4 provinces razed at the end. Scorpion player (me) couldn't get to 8 dishonor for more than an hour because other two player tried their best to prevent him etc.

I really really like this game, but 3 hours is just too much. I would rather play Runewars or Civilization and so on in those 3 hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are you all taking a long time to read every card in your hand? Once you just know what a card does without having to carefully go through it every time you draw it the game speeds up a lot. I've played three player games in an hour.

The scorpion player should be able to get eight dishonour on their turn without interacting with other players at all once they get certain cards out. This will take too long for them to actually win the game this way but it will happen.

Also, was someone playing the Phoenix deck? Honour decks like the Phoenix are pretty much guaranteed to win after a certain number of turns if left alone too long so they set a sort of maximum time on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep for now we take quite some time to read all the effects on the cards. I hope we really fasten the game up in the future.

We were playing Scorpion-Phoenix-Dragon, in the end Phoenix won just by a little. If I would play Phoenix I would end the game sooner, I am sure of it. It just bothers me that Phoenix can win this easily. shake

A little bit off topic:
Alice, it seems to me that you are quite an experienced WoH player. Can you recommend me any starter decks to expand the game? And which edition should I pick?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
One trick to speed up the game is to go through the deck you plan to play and read every card before you start. There are 40 card in each deck but most of them come in sets of three so it really doesn't take that long. After you know what your cards do the game goes much, much faster.

As you play more you'll find that the Phoenix don't have it as easy as you think. The WoH format punishes honour players by wasting any turn in which they make less than eight honour.

The Emperor Edition Gempukku starter decks (Not just plain Emperor Edition. There is a difference) would be the best way to expand WoH and would also be great if you ever want to play traditional L5R. They're currently arround $15-20 at most retailers. The rules get slightly more complicated when you add new decks but if you can handle the base WoH rules you should have no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there is a problem. I see that in gempukku you get everything for one clan. Which means that I will need to deckbuild, which I am not really fond of. So maybe EE starters would be better for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alice
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
The gempukku decks do come with a pre-built decklist so you don't have to deck build. The main problem with the emperor edition starts is that some of them are terrible decks. The Crane (my favoured clan) starter for example tries to be two different types of honour and a military deck at the same time. It really doesn't work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thank you. I will be picking up gempukku then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.