Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfenland at Christmastime
During our recent visit with our good friends the Hayes family, we played our annual Elfenland game, which has become a Christmas tradition for us. We had the full complement of 6 players and it turned out to be a cliffhanger.

Round 1
The first round was unique in that none of the players shared a route; every one went their separate ways. Mark grabbed the initial lead with 6 cities. Greg, Robert, and Marcus were all able to visit 5 cities, while Michael, who wasn’t able to draft tiles to match his cards, picked up 4. I made a major faux pas; I forgot that the unicorn cannot travel over the plains. I was going to use that tile to caravan and by the time I caught it, I had to make a major change to my route and thus ended up with only 4 cities, and was out of position as well.

Round 2
I was able to rebound somewhat in the second round. As I had to correct my route to get back on track, it looked like I’d only be able to muster about 3 cities as no one was looking to travel my route. I caught a huge break when Greg played a “big pig” tile he had no use for over in my area with the intent of blocking me; in actuality, it helped me and I was able to visit 6 cities. Mark and Greg picked up 5 apiece, while Michael, Marcus, and Robert each collected 4.

Round 3
Every one spent the third round trying to position themselves for a run at their respective home cities. Mark made the most of it, knocking off another 6 cities. Greg and I picked up 5, while Michael and Marcus picked up 4, with Robert getting 3. This round set us up for a very tight finish.

Round 4
All players saved their blockades for the final round. Robert picked up a couple more cities and ended with 14 in his home city. Marcus had to travel far to get to his home city so he was only able to pick up 2 more cities and finished with 15. Michael, who had been traveling like a drunken man the whole game, picked up his usual 4 and made it to his home city with a total of 16. Greg had to traverse two blockades, but with the use of a couple of rafts, he was able to pick up two more cities and end up in his home city with 17. Mark also got hit by 2 blockades but was still able to pick up 2 more cities, finishing with 19 in Kirhoma, two cities away from his home. I had to get by only one blockade, but two other tiles were placed in my way for which I had no cards, so I was only able to pick up two more cities. With the use of a raft card, I was able to sneak into my home city of Usselen with a total of 17.

With Mark, Greg, and I all finishing with 17 points, it came down to the cards to break the three-way tie. I had three, while and Greg and Mark each had one. This was one of the closest games of Elfenland that we’ve ever played and, more importantly, it was a lot of fun as well.

Final Scores: Mitch 17, Mark 17, Greg 17, Michael 16, Marcus 15, Robert 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.