Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ground Floor» Forums » Variants

Subject: Setup Tweak: players choose remodeled rooms in reverse popularity order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems tough that some players might, purely be chance, start unpopular and with remodeled rooms that are far from their favorites.

So, how about this slight change to setup?
- Randomly determine popularity.
- Then, starting at the bottom of the popularity stack, allow each player to choose their Specialty, and hence their starting remodeled room.

I'm sure that a lot of testing went into balancing the Specialties. But I'm just as sure that many who play GF develop preferences. What I propose is a way of granting those preferences to the initially least popular.

There are other ways linking choice of remodeled room to (un)popularity, but this is the simplest I can think of. It should only add a minute or two to a game that can last for hours.

My preference, by the way, would be for one of the rooms that produces Info (Research & Testing, or Meeting Room), since Info is in short supply during the early game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Litchfield Park
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
I'm sure that a lot of testing went into balancing the Specialties. But I'm just as sure that many who play GF develop preferences. What I propose is a way of granting those preferences to the initially least popular.

This is exactly why this is a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
AndAgainMA wrote:

This is exactly why this is a bad idea.

I don't think it's a bad idea. Players will definitely have play styles which work well with certain Specialties, and if they prefer one or another it's fine to draft them in reverse turn order.

Perhaps BT is suggesting that players might have more fun if they are forced to adjust their play to work with the Specialty they're dealt, lest they just do the same stuff all the time. That's a fair point too, but if someone later in turn order takes your favorite Specialty then you'll still have to adjust, and also I don't think there's any real overall advantage of 1 Specialty over another, so it shouldn't matter much.

I say if the group has preferences, let them draft Specialties in reverse turn order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Textor
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like this variant as well. Obviously the most popular gets a huge boost at the start of the game simply for being fortunate enough to be picked the most popular. I think this variant balances that random gift. It would be nice if all players started with the same (zero) popularity and see who shoots out of the marketing gate the fastest, but I know that doesn't work with the mechanics of the game.

Incidentally, we've renamed the popularity aspect of GF at our house. My wife really loved the game but thought "popularity" sounded too junior high-ish. She didn't think it fit the business theme of the game. So now we call it "TOMA Status." (Top of Mind Awareness) It fits the theme and makes us feel like we're heading up budding Fortune 500 companies instead of angling to get the most phony friends to come to our party.

I think we'll definitely incorporate your suggestion from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's why I don't like it.

It means that whatever the perceived 'best' ground floor upgrade options are will NEVER start as the most popular.

Likewise, whatever the perceived 'worst' ground floor upgrade options are will always be played as starting as the most popular.

That removes a great deal of potentially interesting play space due to initial perception.

This game has exactly 3 variables:

Starting Popularity
Starting Ground Floor Upgrade
Economy Cards

Why remove or limit one of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
It means that whatever the perceived 'best' ground floor upgrade options are will NEVER start as the most popular.

How is that a bad thing? You can't tell me that each specialty is exactly as strong as every other one. I'm sure that David and Seth did a good job balancing the game, but there's no way it's balanced to that degree - no game with variable player powers is.

If one specialty ends up being stronger than the others, then it should start out with a slight disadvantage. Or rather, the person who already starts with the disadvantage of player order should have the chance to balance it by getting a better specialty.

The game ha a lot more than 3 variables. I guess you're talking about setup variability, but who cares? Why preserve setup variability if the game can be better without it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rousselle
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
BT,

In a 5 player game, do you think it's an advantage to go 1st? If yes, how big & do you want to reduce it by allowing selection of initial advantages.

My first play had 5 players (I was 1st) and it was pretty clear after 2 rounds that going first was a big advantage. Our group came up with this very variant after 1 play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Townsend
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
Don't blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck.
badge
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was actually coming here to post this exact thing. The key here is that, given the relative balance of the starting specialties (with the exception of Inheritance, which I would not touch with a 10' pole), this really does nothing to ACTUALLY negate any advantage in popularity. It's really more of a consolation prize. And I really have no problem with going random once in a while to keep things fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.