Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I finished my first draft of my PnP copy of Island Siege and wanted to share the pictures and talk about the components I used.

The first thing I did was take the files to Kinkos, a printing and package-shipping shop (try repeating that quickly!). They informed me that they couldn't print the files for me because the files were copyrighted and that I'd have to print them myself on standard copy paper. Not a big deal, since that was all I wanted anyway, but I thought it an odd policy. I printed the required sheets of cards and the instructions.

The next step was to laminate the cards. I could have cut out the images and put them in sleeves, but I don't like to do that if I can avoid it. Besides, the laminating wasn't very expensive. I was able to get 8.5" x 14" for the same cost as 8.5" x 11", so I cut one of the sheets of cards into individual rows of cards, added each row to another full sheet, and was thus able to get away with using four sheets of laminate rather than six.

After cutting out the cards and rounding the corners, I needed to get the other components together. I went to my FLGS and discovered they were out of blank d6 dice. They didn't have wooden cubes either, so I wandered over to Michael's (a craft supply store) and started looking for alternatives.

I had thought I would keep the game in a simple brown paper mache box, but while looking for them I saw this wooden treasure box:

The box fit the theme of the game perfectly so I had to use it. Next I needed wooden cubes for the bits that represented colonists (red and yellow), cannons (black), walls (grey), and towers (white). I never did find painted cubes, but I did find a two pound bucket of 0.5" mosaic tiles with an assortment of colors. More than I needed for this game (approximately 1,200 tiles), but there will be other games and projects for the left-overs. Here are the white, grey, and black tiles in a close-up shot:

The fact that they feel like stone (or pumice)also adds to the theme for me. All that was left was to find ship markers, dice, and coins.

While I was looking for the painted cubes for resources, I found an 8-pack of 0.5" unpainted wooden cubes. I still needed dice, and thought these would work. All they needed were color markings on each side. I ended up getting them and using some acrylic paints I had to paint the sides the colors I needed. I only had to have four dice, so two of the remaining cubes got painted, one red, one yellow, to make the ship markers.

Finally, it was down to coins. We have really nice coins that we got via a Kickstarter project (Realm Coins), and I'd like to use those, but I don't want to break up the set, and we use them in too many other games to dedicate them just to Island Siege, so in the end I used nickels (US$0.05) for the 'small' coins (worth 1 in the game) and quarters (US$0.25) for the 'large' coins (worth 5 in the game).

One of my worries was that the rules, as printed, would be too big for whatever box I used, but by simply folding them in half, I was able to curl them up into the lid space in the treasure box.

All the other bits, cards, dice, and coins fit easily under the instructions.

Here is the game with the starting setup. Red and yellow mosaic tiles were used for the red and yellow players colonists. The white, grey, and black tiles were used for the tower, wall, and cannons bits. In the following two shots you can see the solid color cubes that are the ship tokens, and the cubes painted to use as dice. Each die has a red, a yellow, a black, a white, and two grey sides.

A close-up of the yellow players starting cards:

I had a lot of fun putting this game together. I discovered this game at BGG Con and fell in love with it. As of the time of this writing the project to produce the game is on Kickstarter, and will be until February 25th, 2013. The PnP files are linked on the BGG game entry page, as is the link to the KS project. Please consider supporting this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
Send me a trade offer!
badge
I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome! my PnP won't be nearly as nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
That sure is what I call showing some love! Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.