Hide
7 Posts

CO₂» Forums » General

Subject: 2 player opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
karl smith
msg tools
I have now played several 2 player games and I am of the opinion that this is not the best number of players for this game.We have found that unless you play co-operatively then invariably the pollution level will raise beyond 500 quite easily.The idea that you have to work together just to be able to continue playing the game goes beyond our competitve nature.So can my fellow players recommend the ideal number of players to make this very interesting game take on a more winner take all competition rather than having it grind to a halt as is often the case with 2 players.Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting take. I have played it frequently with 2 players and have never seen the game end with pollution above 500. I also don't think we play cooperatively at all. I would be curious to watch one of your games unfold.

My favorite player count is three players. However, I found three players too easy to keep the pollution low, so I normally start with a 40 ppm plant in each region. But since you are trying to reduce the likelihood of going over 500 ppm, you should just try 3p normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
karl smith
msg tools
Keeping the pollution level low is what we want as we want more of a contest to devlop over scoring victory points rather than have the game dictate to us how we need to play a certain decade.After all is said and done we would prefer to have a clear winner/looser situation develop with the game continuing through to the 5th decade without any player manipulation leading to a situation where the player who is currently behind would rather see the game win so to speak.Perhaps this is just not possible with 2 players who hate seeing the other player win.Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
karlosis wrote:
Keeping the pollution level low is what we want as we want more of a contest to devlop over scoring victory points rather than have the game dictate to us how we need to play a certain decade.After all is said and done we would prefer to have a clear winner/looser situation develop with the game continuing through to the 5th decade without any player manipulation leading to a situation where the player who is currently behind would rather see the game win so to speak.Perhaps this is just not possible with 2 players who hate seeing the other player win.Thanks

I am wanting to get this game for solo and 2 player sessions. Can anyone else comment on the two player expierence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played two or three solo games and just played my first 2p game.

We weren't ever extremely worried about the pollution level, but it did creep up to 460 or so. Quite a manageable track, but we did have to consider it. Had we started with all coal power plants I'm pretty certain we would have lost, but we were both newbies to the game so perhaps with more practice I'd want to do that, too.

I can't comment on the OP because it's both thematic and in your own personal interest to be concerned with the global CO2 level. We never had to actively cooperate; we pursued our own goals and the problem was taken care of.

We ended with a very close, very competitive game, and I was delighted at the end!

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just asking, how long did the 2p game take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-and-a-half to three hours of playing time, I believe. I had only done solo before and he hadn't ever seen the game, so call that newbie time; I'm sure a second game would have gone considerably faster.

With first-time setup and explanations the experience was close to four hours, but that time goes down with more plays, too.

--ElSoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.