Subject: Ferrox vs. Guardian ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferrox's ability is "When Played: Destroy 1 participating unit (friendly or opposing) with strength 2 or lower to draw 1 card."
Guardian's ability reads "If an unwounded friendly unit would be destroyed in this combat, you may wound it instead."

In our last game a situation came up, when dwarf player had Guardian and Sentinel already in play and opposing player played Ferrox. He used his when played ability to destroy the Sentinel, but dwarf player used his Guardian to wound the Sentinel instead. The question is, if the player who played Ferrox gets to draw a card for his ability or not, since technically he didn't destroyed that unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Bennett
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes ! you are playing it wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sids Creations
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm new to this game... Played it for the first time Yesterday and loved it....

If you play a card like ferrox and your opponent has a card down that has no abilities, does Ferrox destroy the card before he gets to play his next card? Or does he get to play his next card in response to Ferrox (if he can)?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"When played" abilities are resolved as soon as the unit is played, so Ferrox can (abilities are optional) immediately destroy one unit of strength 2 or less. After that, the opposing player can play one unit and so forth.
Nano already explained the whole combat very clearly a few posts above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Přibyl
Czech Republic
Praha
Prague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played last night and encountered a little confusion about Guardian (If an unwounded friendly unit would be destroyed in this combat, you may wound it instead.). I assume that this ability can be used only on one unit per one whole combat.

For example when a player is attacking an enemy card and attrition die shows two skulls (player therefore has to destroy two units) the Guardian can wound one unit while the second have to be discarded.

We played this way but there was a dispute about it so I want to have some confirmation or explanation about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Q: When the “Guardian” effect is triggered, which unit
is wounded: the “Guardian” or the unit that would
have been destroyed?
A: The unit that would have been destroyed is wounded.
The “Guardian” is only wounded by this effect if the
“Guardian” itself was the unit that would have been
destroyed.
Q: Can a player use the “Guardian” effect more than
once during a combat?
A: Yes. Like the Naga and Demon, the “Guardian” effect
does not have a keyword, so the “once per card per
round” rule does not apply.

See FAQs: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Rune%2...

Regarding the Ferrox-Guardian interaction, I'm not 100% sure that this should be official ruling, but I would allow to wound instead of destroy AND to draw a card.
Interesting I have never encountered this before
(and I thought that this game could not surprise me any more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.