Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » General

Subject: How well does this interact with Prosperity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, yes I know there are a million posts of 'which expansion shall I get?', but I can't see any discussions of how well Dark Ages works with just Prosperity and Base Set. I am wondering whether to get seaside or Dark Ages next.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the themes are opposite(Wealth vs Hard Times), I think there's interesting combos to be had by combining both expansions.

Given that you usually gain things by trashing cards in Dark Ages, Forge and Expand seem very interesting with DA cards. In fact, they'd work wonderfully with Rats, which is a hard card to work with.

However, you may want to look at the DA Card List and see how well those combo with the cards from Prosperity, and the Base Set. I think only you will know if it feels more interesting than Seaside, which is about duration effects(cards that stay in play from one turn to the next).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The easy answer is that ALL Dominion expansions combo well together.

The longer answer is that Prosperity and Dark Ages have a similar feel of building up to new, powerful decks. Even though Dark Ages is nominally about "hard times", in game turns that means a focus on Trashing and Upgrading. Paradoxically, those make you a lot MORE powerful in Dominion. (An expansion that actually made you struggle more probably wouldn't be very fun.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Whalen
msg tools
Dark Ages is the most different (in my opinion). Sea Side has tons of great stuff, but Dark Ages just plays way, way different.

Do you want more variations on the same basic principles? --> Sea Side.

Do you want a change in tempo? --> Dark Ages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Watchtower is from Prosperity... and Watchtower combined with Dark Ages does all sorts of insane and awesome things.

That being said, due to complexity in general, I would not recommend Dark Ages as your second expansion. Sea Side and Prosperity are my 2 favorites, and I think they are awesome together. I would get Sea Side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flyingfish wrote:
Yes, yes I know there are a million posts of 'which expansion shall I get?', but I can't see any discussions of how well Dark Ages works with just Prosperity and Base Set. I am wondering whether to get seaside or Dark Ages next.

I played just few games with Dark Ages ( first just with cards from this expansion and the rest combined ) and my personal impression is ... that it doesn't work quite well - especially if you consider mixing initial Shelters with Colonies & Platinum ( I assume that this is the main idea behind such a question, isn't it ? ).

Actually I plan to write a review and my main complain regarding DA expansion is that it suffer from sort of "Alchemy-problem" - tend to be a quite-exclusive, alone-only set ...
I have this impression because a lot of cards on this set rely on mechanisms/interaction with cards ... which may be found mostly in this set ( trashing is the simplest example - but I'd say that are other which are less obvious ... further games may confirm or invalidate these feelings ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ioan76_TM wrote:
Actually I plan to write a review and my main complain regarding DA expansion is that it suffer from sort of "Alchemy-problem" - tend to be a quite-exclusive, alone-only set ...
I have this impression because a lot of cards on this set rely on mechanisms/interaction with cards ... which may be found mostly in this set ( trashing is the simplest example - but I'd say that are other which are less obvious ... further games may confirm or invalidate these feelings ).

I haven't found that at all. Trashing comes up often enough in the other sets that "when Trashed" abilities still matter.

Thematically, it can be fun to focus on just this set, but that's also true of every expansion since Seaside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Champagne
United States
Mobile
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNevin wrote:
I haven't found that at all. Trashing comes up often enough in the other sets that "when Trashed" abilities still matter.

Thematically, it can be fun to focus on just this set, but that's also true of every expansion since Seaside.

I completely agree. In fact, some cards in Dark Ages interact more interestingly when there aren't ways to trash cards. For example: In set-ups where you can't trash cards for benefit, Wandering Minstrel becomes more valuable than Fortress. In set-ups with no trashing at all, Storeroom is absolutely amazing. Also, in games with no trashing, Ruins are just a lot more fun and a lot less punishing than curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.