Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isabel D.
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the new Torres as a present, and played it several times as a 2- or 3-player game. Mostly with the "master" variant where each player starts with all the cards, but without a "master" bonus card. Anyways, each time the scores were very, very close - a couple of points, maybe 10 maximum, out of huge scores... I was just wondering if others have found this to be the case. Thanks! By the way, it's an awesome game, get it if you're looking for a brain-burner and a beautiful one at that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deleted User
msg tools
badge
Hi Isabel, it's not always the case. Blowouts are possible in Torres. However, if one player opens a big lead early (say through clever placement of the King or shrewd castle building and use of action cards) then the others can work together to catch up. This is usually done by blocking the leading player out of positions, especially a position for the King's bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the games I have played scores were not all that close. Maybe 10 points in a really close game, going as high as 50 in some cases. Score increases non-linearly, so the effect of being in a bigger castle is quite large. The King's bonus seems to be trivial compared to castle points.

Howvever, I have not played the Master variant yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
abeille_joyeuse wrote:
Anyways, each time the scores were very, very close - a couple of points, maybe 10 maximum, out of huge scores...

Huge? 70s - 90s are pretty typical, very ocassionally a little over 100, but yes, scores tend to be close among players of similar skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isabel D.
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression is that it is hard to build a very large castle without other players also moving in and earning a comparable number of points. Of course, in each such castle, one will have the advantage but it seemed to overall cancel out. Could be because our group is very committed to pairing up against the leader (?) and blocking him/her...

When I say huge scores, I mean going around the track once and up to 1/2 turn more. Thanks for the comments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see 200+ most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Silveira
Brazil
Salvador
Bahia
flag msg tools
Yes, Torres is a superb game. My games usualy ends over 250 or more points, but I ALWAYS play with the "master" version. This version improves very much the replayability and adds so much chrome and strategies/tatics to the game. The "master cards" are very interesting and brings new possibilities, tatics, decisions and different ways to win the game.

A masterpiece from Kramer, one of my favourites boardgames ever. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isabel D.
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are saving the master cards for later , I agree they will add a lot of replayability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Renaud
Canada
laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
My games are like that also!!! They are always really close... and it's normal. Especially if your games are at 2-3 players. When you have a big castle it's easy for the others to follow you in. Usually in each castle there will be one player a bit higher than the other there and since everybody will enlarge the castle where they lead, the difference between player will often be small. You should try playing at 4 player where it will be harder to be everywhere, and easier to block some of the player out of some castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.