Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Blais
Canada
Burnaby
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Everyone!

This is it! Yes, the first evening of the new Vancouver BGG Game Group is all set and YOU are invited. Woo-hoo!! Here are all of the details...

When:

Tuesday, January 10th
6pm to 10pm (or 'til even later if people are into it!)

Where:
Granville and 71st area. We will be using the common room of one of the members co-op.

What To Bring:
Besides yourselves, please feel welcome to bring along friends and family members who enjoy board games. The focus of the group is primarily Eurogames, but gaming experience is certainly NOT required, just an open mind to trying new games in a fun, family-friendly environment that will appeal to both seasoned gamers and those new to the hobby. Everyone is, of course, welcome to bring along a selection of their favourite games.

A variety of munchies will be provided on-the-house on our first night. If you want to bring your own snack, light meal, or have a favourite (non-alcoholic) beverage, please bring those along too. The facilities of the common room include modular square tables to seat 24 people, plus a long table (think back to high school days), a sink, tea kettle and a washroom.

R.S.V.P.:
Please R.S.V.P. (that's let me know if you can make it, in laymen's terms!) via e-mail,posting here or to my BGG box. If you can't make it but are interested in future nights, let us know also.

If you have any ideas on how we can make this an even better gaming night, your thoughts are truly welcome.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers,
Kevin and Mike
Daddy-O and Hoju

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Blais
Canada
Burnaby
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to start off, we should get an idea of what type of games we will be bringing (also to not have 6 people all bring the same game )

I'd like to have a couple chances of a 5 or more player game of Shadows over Camelot.
or
I noticed Kevin has a Game of Thrones, I would like to give that a spin also (never played it).
or
I have a copy of Crash Tackle that sadly has not been played yet, I know a 2 player game wouldn't quite be in the spirit of the get-together but if you know and enjoy rugby and would like to try it out too,let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoohooo!

We are IN! and looking forward to it. (I will be emailing Kevin our RSVP).

I was wondering what games to bring. If we knew who everyone was we could look through each others collection and maybe make requests. If I have any games y'all are interested please just ask.

Thanks Kevin and Mike for organizing this!

Pat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Janzen
Canada
Mission
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

Unfortunately, I will not be available to attend this time.. (I DID try to make it work...)

Anyway.. I will deffinately make it on another evening.. please let me know if you will have it on Tuesday regularly.. and if not, please let me know when the next meet is.

Everyone, feel free to browse my list of games and let me know what you'd like me to bring when I can make it.

(Oh.. BTW.. when I say "I" will come another day .. I really me "WE" there would be about 4 or 5 of us that would join you, instead of our weekly Wednesday games night)

-Darrell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've e-mailed Kevin to let him know I'll be there. Looking forward to playing some games with fellow game geeks. Let me know if there is anything in my collection I should bring - at this point I'm hoping to try Railroad Tycoon and Age of Steam. I could bring Stephensons Rocket and we could make it a trainfest. Hey Vancouver BGG - TrainFEST 2006!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone!

It's cool all the excitement there is about this night. I'm psyched too! Too bad you can't make it, Darrell. We'll be sure to let you know next time we schedule another session.

I am working on doing up a master list of games (done in an Excel file) owned by all of the people confirmed coming on Tuesday. Should have a preliminary copy done tomorrow night. If you want a copy, be sure to get on my e-mail list (non-BGG).

Looking forward to meeting everyone for a great evening of games on Tuesday.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy-O wrote:

I am working on doing up a master list of games
Kevin

Good idea, thanks! I have geekbuddie grouped those of us I know about and then used that group to analyse any requested games. So far, just you and I have the two railroad games Daniel asked for. (I do realize that I am not working with a complete gamer roster) anyhow, I would be happy to bring one of them and you can bring the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, a BGG game night near me!!! I will try my hardest to make it, which shouldn't be a problem. I'll see if any of my regular gaming buddies are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the group, Jon! We'd love to see you there. I'll send you the "official" invitation so that you have the address and assorted details about the night. I'll also add you to my geekbuddies list that is specifically for this group.

Pat, as of this time I have completed the master games list - at least as far as all of the confirmed people goes (though admittedly, I edited down your collection some - holy wow you have lots of games!). As far as the complete list of people attending, I am still waiting to hear back from four BGG members, so the official list may well change between now and Tuesday... That said, I will send everyone what I have compiled and send out revisions as new member additions arise. Jon, if you would like to receive the master list of games owned by the people attending (in an Excel file), send me your personal e-mail address. It sounds like you are pretty sure you will come, so I will add your games to the list shortly.

Dan, on your idea of an evening of train games, you are preaching to the converted! I LOVE train games and there are so many great ones to learn. However, as much as I can hardly wait to play both Railroad Tycoon and Age of Steam (as evidenced by the fact that I own both of them!), I do recognize that they are both lengthy, more meatier games that may not be to everyone's taste. Against my inner nature, I would like to suggest that one of these might be the more prudent choice for the first games night. Course, my rubber arm could EASILY be twisted in the other direction.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy-O wrote:

Pat, as of this time I have completed the master games list - at least as far as all of the confirmed people goes (though admittedly, I edited down your collection some - holy wow you have lots of games!).

What!!!!????? You censored our game list!!! Arggggg! angry

Just joking, I'm glad you have done this and am interested to see which ones you dropped off. There is a lot of chaff in there, that I haven't taken the time to get rid of yet. Earlier this year, we did manage to fob off donate some junoir games to my sister-in-law. Good work, Kevin, it must be a lot of work.

Daddy-0 wrote:

Dan, on your idea of an evening of train games, you are preaching to the converted! Against my inner nature, I would like to suggest that one of these might be the more prudent choice for the first games night.

I agree with this. Derek and I would favour RRT, because it it new to us. (Although we haven't really played AoS either). But, either would be cool if that is the consensus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

If you're on my e-mail list, you probably know by now that I have come up with a master list of games owned by everyone who is confirmed (thus far) to be coming this Tuesday. Eventually, I will also list all the games owned by those interested in participating in the group, but are unable to make it to the first night.

Based on that games list, I'd like to suggest some games to consider playing on Tuesday (in brackets next to the game title I have listed the game's range of players and est'd playing time):

Pat & hubbie Derek
Caylus (2-5, 120)
Fist of Dragonstones (3-6, 45)
Gang of four (3-4, 30)

Mike
Carcassonne the Castle (2-4, 30)
Blokus (1-4, 20)
Chizo Rising (2-4, 20)
Crash Tackle (2, 90; I know Mike would love to play this one! Who knows, with the right number of people and the right game(s) being played, there may well be an opportunity to play this 2-player game.)

Dan
Louis XIV (2-4, 100)
Pirates Cove (3-5, 90)
Pueblo (2-4, 60)
Settlers of Catan, 5-6 Expansion (5-6, 120)
Taj Mahal (3-5, 90)
Torres (2-4, 60)

Jon
Hoity Toity (2-5, 60m)
Through the Desert (2-5, 45; Dan also owns this)
Tichu (3-6, 90)

Kevin
Railroad Tycoon (2-6, 120; Pat & Derek also own this)
Bang! (4-7, 30; P & D also own)
El Grande (2-5, 90)
Game Of Thrones (3-5, 180; this one might be better for a day time get together)
Niagara (2-5, 45)

Now, it's quite possible that I have missed some real gems in your collections and the list above is just some *suggestions*. Please add your own. My reasons for chosing some of the games above is that it probably makes some sense to have games which reflect a range of complexity, game type, game duration and numbers of players.

Now it's your turn!

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to list games that both Derek and I would like to play, I'll put an * next to ones that are also on Kevin's list and the game owners in brackets.

10 Days in Africa (Dan Jon)
Amun-Re (Dan)
* Bang (Kevin P&D)
* Blokus (Mike)
* Caylus (P&D)
Clans (Kevin Dan P&D)
Coloretto (Dan P&D)
* El Grande (Kevin)
Formula De (Dan P&D)
Goa (Kevin P&D)
Guillotine (P&D)
Lightspeed (P&D)
The Nacho Incident (Kevin)
* Niagra (Kevin)
Odin's Ravens (Dan Kevin Mike)
Poison (P&D)
Puerto Rico (Dan Kevin)
* Railroad Tycoon (Kevin P&D)
Ticket to Ride Europe (Jon) [Surprisingly we haven't ever played this]
Union Pacific (P&D)

There are so many great games on the masterlist it was difficult to narrow it down. Any of the games that Kevin listed would be great too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy-O wrote:
Dan, on your idea of an evening of train games, you are preaching to the converted! I LOVE train games and there are so many great ones to learn. However, as much as I can hardly wait to play both Railroad Tycoon and Age of Steam (as evidenced by the fact that I own both of them!), I do recognize that they are both lengthy, more meatier games that may not be to everyone's taste.

He-he, it was more of a joke than a suggestion. If you want to get in a train game which offers some deep(er) play than say TTR but not as heavy as AoS and plays quickly then Stephensons Rocket is the game to play.

soblueMy e-mail is still down so I'll not be able to have a look at the master list - sounds like a lot of work - thanks for all the effort you are putting into tomorrow night.

So, looking at previous posts, I'll bring the games which people have expressed an interest in unless you come up with a list for me.

Looks like Wednesday is going to be a rough day

-Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon,
It might be a good idea for you to bring For Sale. My copy has been, well "lent" to a friend. As you probably agree, it's a really good filler game that is fast and fun. Might come in handy.
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys I haven't been checking back here O_o OOPS!!

I will bring For Sale and Through the Desert... I haven't actually played Hoity Toity or Tichu yet :$) Considering how many games there will be I don't think it will matter much, plus they can be brought out at the next game night :-)

See y'all tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank Daddy-O for hosting the First Gaming Night of the Vancouver BGG. Derek and I had a lot of fun and we hope this can be a regularily scheduled event.

, Patt.

Derek - Yup, good job Daddy-O, but steal my wife's jewels again and there'll be trouble!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Blais
Canada
Burnaby
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll second the thanks to Kevin and am looking forward to getting together again soon.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for coming out last night, everyone! It was cool to finally get a chance to meet you all. I had a great time and it was a joy to put together. I will be happy to put my efforts into organizing the next gaming night (or day). Just say the word!

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy-O wrote:
Thanks for coming out last night, everyone! It was cool to finally get a chance to meet you all. I had a great time and it was a joy to put together. I will be happy to put my efforts into organizing the next gaming night (or day). Just say the word!

Kevin

DAY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy-O wrote:

THE WORD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also I would like to thank Kevin yet again for putting this all together, it was tremendous fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Word!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Dusik
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya bunch of wise crackin' smartalecks... God luv ya!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddy-O wrote:
Ya bunch of wise crackin' smartalecks... God luv ya!

...that weren't no wisecrack dude...I want to play games all day!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.