Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Needing help and advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adie The Hawkeye
msg tools
Hi My name is Adie and I am looking for advice and help please I am new to board gaming as in strategy gaming. I have over the years played many a strategy game on the pc and other gaming consoles but not board games due to having a fairly active life working two jobs within the emergency service
Unfortunately due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time (a bomb explosion) I am now completely depend on my partner come carer
Anyway I need to get my mind over the fact that I am in constant pain and unable to walk or do to much if I am honest so I am looking for help and advice on what games would be more suitable for me I loved settlers, age of empires various war games on the pc and have since brought age of empires and age of mythology board games although not played these yet
what is the better of the war games as in memoir, tide of iron, axis and allies etc also if there are any good one player games I have recently sent of for level 7 escape which I believe is a single player game
Please ,please can anyone offer any help or suggestions for any games out there past or present that would fit in I have been so depressed of recent times just need some good board games to take my mind of things
also does anyone know if the axis and allies world war 1 game is due out yet ? or gearworld the borderlands

Looking forward so much to hearing from some of you and sorry for going on so much
Adie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Recommendations
(this way you'll get a better response).

Sorry to hear your current situation - This calls for a good game.

How many players are you playing with? So far we are working with a solo requirement yes?

How complicated do you want the game to be? (eg if your playing with others how committed do are they? (Personally my group calls for light to medium games)

How long do you want a game to last?

Are there any logistics we need to know about eg are you playing in a standard table or on a bed?

Any particular themes you like or dislike - so far I'm getting a war theme...

Ok as an opening gambit -

Pandemic A cooperative game about ridding the world of pandemics. Playable solo or with up to four. It's good fun and has just been re-published.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue Another a cooperative game which can be played solo or with up to 4 and is good fun. It has both simple and advanced rules and takes 45-60 mins to play.

D-Day Dice I've not played it but heard good things and it can be played solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Williams
United States
Lake Mary
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very sorry to hear about your troubles, Adie.

For single player games, you might consider:
Ghost Stories
Mage Knight Board Game
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Arkham Horror

These are all cooperative games that don't suffer at all when played solo. There's a puzzle-like quality to them, and the latter two have many expansions to offer new challenges.

There are many other solo games, please refer to
Solitaire / Solo / Single Player Games META-LIST

Also, you might consider collecting games that you could play online... Refer to http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games&redirectedf...#

There are great game reviewers on this site whose reviews can expose you to many games; among them are:
The Dice Tower Video Reviews Subscription Geeklist: 2013 Edition
My reviews - an UndeadViking's quest to rate every game in his collection
Drive Thru Review - Video Reviews

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for your difficult present situation.

I think that playing board games certainly should help you to keep your mind away from your problems. You've mentioned "Settlers", probably you like it for its negotiation aspects, if that's the case, you could like games such as:
Bohnanza
Sid Meyer's Civilization, or
The Resistance
(At least, these are the ones I know)

In other hand, if you like Settlers because of its "use of resources to building-development things" aspect, you probably would like games such as Stone Age or Agricola.

About war games, I may recommend to you: Commands and Colors, a great, short, funny and fast paced war game. It's all about epic battles. Each scenario comes with an historical background, so, if battles and history is something you're interested in, this game may be a good choice for you.

I hope you find exactly what you want, and hope you have a soon recovery.

---
Edited to correct links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adie The Hawkeye
msg tools
Hi Liam
Thank you for moving it too a more appropriate place bad day for pain yesterday bit like today so thanks again for your recommendations and of course moving it
Adie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adie The Hawkeye
msg tools
Hello I would like to thank you good people for your warm welcoming and advice that you have given me I am presently looking on ebay for a couple of different titles

thank you all

Adie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.