James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a copy of The Oxford History of Board Games:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0192129988/qid=1136432142/s... at the library where I work.

I can't stand it... its too much for me.

Can someone give me a better book or at least a good weblink that explains the what different types of games (area control, chit taking, etc.) mean?

Maybe I'm just being dumb but the damned thing was too dense and certainly dry enough reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games descrptions you are looking for are not in Oxford History of Board Games--which deals with the history of different of mostly abstract games that have been played throughout history. (The weakest part of the book is on "proprietary games"--like German Games and wargames.)

There is a glossary on the "geek":
Pull down at the top of the screen: Fun Stuff\Other stuff\Game Glossary.

It is hardly complete and somewhat incorrect in some places, but probably you best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Cumference
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Actually I find the Oxford History of Board Games to be pretty good stuff. You must, must read the intro which explains the classification system and contrasts with that of the previous tome on the subject. I know that intro seems long, but it's well worth hanging in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.