Hide
2 Posts

DaVinci's Challenge» Forums » Rules

Subject: What if a player runs out of one of the piece types rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ihde
msg tools
I just recently purchased DaVinci's challenge, and enjoy the game, but many times I have encountered an end-game condition that is not explained in the rules. Basically, I have run out of triangles even though there are valid (scoring) moves remaining. What is the correct way to handle this situation, or is there no "offical" rule thus it becomes a house rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are enough pieces for each player that you can fill half the board with yours, and your opponent can fill half the board with his. No more, no less.

One problem that I reported in the game's listing area is that Briarpatch doesn't seem to be good at counting as it took me three store returns before I found a game with ENOUGH pieces to play -- two out of the three were short on both sides. So count your pieces carefully. You should have 72 pieces of black and 72 pieces of white (or grey and beige as is the case for my copy), divided into 27 triangles and 45 petals for each color.

Part of the challenge of the game is to play your pieces in a strategic manner so that you maximize your points before you run out of pieces. If you run out of triangles, then you're out of luck with those scoring opportunities! Maybe after a few more plays you'll see the advantage of planning a "big score" and holding back, instead of playing every single piece just because you can.

It's a strategy game, and part of the strategy is to utilize your pieces efficiently when choosing to play and score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.