Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vitruvius Pucker
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can event-based activations (e.g., "En Avant!" in the French deck, which brings forces on to the map, then allows 1 - 2 force activations) be interrupted by card play in the normal way?

The reason I ask is because these interrupts would seem inordinately powerful. "En Avant!" allows the French to take 3 fortresses simply by entering their spaces. Prussia has a similar card allowing them to take Torgau and few other spaces in the early game.

If this can be avoided by simply playing an interrupt card, it seems like a no-brainer to play it. Taking 3 fortresses by siege can take quite a bit of time (and/or supply) in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no prohibition on the play of interrupt cards during the activation of forces activated by the play of the En Avant! event.

As for how it affects game play: The British interrupt cards aren't too powerful in this circumstance. Most of the powerful Prussian interrupts cannot be played in the German theater. Overall I don't see a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitruvius Pucker
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I guess I've been confused about the nature of some interrupt cards. For example, the French Card "Danish Subsidy"--can't it be used to interrupt any force as it activates? Or is it only played as an interrupt card when the Brits play "Wooing the Danes" to make the result no effect?

Ditto the Prussian interrupt card "Left-handed Gloves"--Isn't this a generic interrupt card? The event doesn't appear to have anything to do with interrupting a force activation.

I guess the basic question then becomes: are there any "generic interrupt" cards, or are all interrupt cards only useable in specific situations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I went home and did some reading, this is what I came up with.

Danish Subsidy may be used as an Event in its own right or as an Interrupt when the British play Wooing the Danes.

Left-handed Gloves may be played after a forage raid or raid on Berlin is resolved.

Those two are not dependent on a force activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D'Angelo
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
From reading your comments, I think part of your confusion is stemming from not closely reading the text on the event cards. The French Danish subsidy can only be played as an interrupt when the British Wooing the Danes card is itself played as an EVENT (and it cancels the event, it can not be used to stop an activated force). The Prussian Invasion of Saxony event specifically states that it can not be interrupted by the Austrian player (who early in the game is the only Coalition power at war). Plus, if I'm not mistaken, all of the interrupt cards that stop activated forces have some sort of restriction on their use (they can only be played on specific nationalities or in certain theaters) which is stated on the card itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitruvius Pucker
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications, guys. They are much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.