Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilbert Walker
Austria
flag msg tools
Sorry, it's so obviously obvious!
What is an Avatar?
I'm a complete newby. Signed up today.
Well, I look forward to a reply! (I'll probably only get 1 serious one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
A picture, just like the one you see in my profile, right under my name
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the little picture that appears below my user ID. In my case from the old classic game Shogun. You purchase one through earning GeekGold. Check out the "Fun Stuff" menu above for more info on how to get GeekGold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Walker
Austria
flag msg tools
Thanks guys!
(What a deal over a picture!)
Just by the way, I waited like, 40 seconds for that reply!
How many people are on this site!!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How many people are on this site!!?

Scott Alden, A.K.A. Aldie, one of the co-founders of Boargamegeek, puts out statistics every so often on just that subject. BGG sees almost 1/2 million unique users a MONTH I believe.

So to answer your question, welcome to our sizable community Gilbert!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Dumas
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you click on "Forum Index" at the top left of this page and then scroll down to the bottom you will see a count of users currently signed on.

Like this: "In total there are 1021 users in the forum."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case you're interested, here's the background on the phrase:

In Hinduism, an Avatar is a person's Immortal Being or soul. It's the embodiment of your being in the physical world.

The term came to mean a personal symbol in the digital realm used to represent yourself after it was used by Neal Stephenson in his novel "Snow Crash" to describe virtual reality "avatars" of people in the world-wide computer network called the Metaverse.

Stephenson's ground-breaking cyberpunk novel was widely popular amongst the technophiles who pioneered the Internet and World Wide Web, so the term was adopted to describe the icons we currently use.

(I really like the origin of the word and also like the idea that our physical bodies are just extensions into this plane of our greater spiritual self...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm of no help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Borton
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mb
Nekura wrote:
The term came to mean a personal symbol in the digital realm used to represent yourself after it was used by Neal Stephenson in his novel "Snow Crash" to describe virtual reality "avatars" of people in the world-wide computer network called the Metaverse.

The use of avatar in this way actually pre-dates Snow Crash-- I first saw it used in 1988 or so in Habitat, which was one of the first graphical MMORPGs.

...which was available on a Commodore 64 online service called Q-Link, which was the basis for a similar PC service called PC-Link, which eventually became AOL...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
"Avatar" was earlier used in the computer game Ultima IV (released 1985). In that game the player-controlled character had to attain certain moral attributes to become "The Avatar". The rest of the games in that series referred to the main character (i.e. the player) as Avatar. Considering how popular Ultima was, I suspect that this is the origin of the word as it pertains to a computer representative of yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All hail Chiyo-chan! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1021 users in the forum are not all the users visiting the site, though.

Avatar is sometimes used in fantasy to describe a God taking on a human or animal form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
And since we're on the topic -- What exactly does your avatar depict Mr. Thomas? Is it a map? Is it a deformed praying mantis? I can't figure it out...

For the record, mine is a "mug shot", a photo of my Goofy Grape mug.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob McMurray
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And, incidentally, spielfreak - one of my absolute favorite avatars at the geek. I just love that goofy grape mug. Although, that cloister being bulldozed to make room for a Starbucks is priceless...hadn't seen it before this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, Morgan had the same issue.

Its a map of the fantasy world which my D&D games are set in. Called Undar. Well the map only shows a bit of Undar, the North-Eastern part of the Old World, where the campaigns tend to be set.

Morgan said it looked like a turtle head, and I can see the resemblance. Haven't seen that many mantises though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us without a digital camera (once I get the GG), what advice would you give in picking out a cool avatar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Find some picture of something you like on the web and cut it down to size. Worked for me!

nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sundar R.
India
Bengaluru
TamilNadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nekura wrote:

In Hinduism, an Avatar is a person's Immortal Being or soul.

Actually, the word for that would be Aatman. Avatar refers to the physical manifestation of God. As the Bhagavat Gita puts it: "whenever there is a decay of morality, and immorality is on the rise, I [God] manifest myself [as an avatar]".

Not that any of this matters, just putting out correct information for the posterity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulkas wrote:
If you click on "Forum Index" at the top left of this page and then scroll down to the bottom you will see a count of users currently signed on.

Like this: "In total there are 1021 users in the forum."

I'm not a new user, and not only did I not know this, but I still can't see how to find it even with instructions. blush

I don't see "Forum Index" at the top left of the page. I can click on the 'Forums' dropdown, which gives me an index of the forums, or I can click the link to Forums, or Introduction, or New User Questions, but don't see a current user count on any of those pages.

This should help put Gilbert at ease. If I'm that clueless after having been registered here since 2004, it's little wonder that a newbie might have questions!

[edit] Just realized this is a 5 year old thread that got pulled up. We've had a lot of changes since those days, so no surprise that features aren't mapped the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.