Subject: To sleeve or not to sleeve.. Cheap cards force it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve De George
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I just got the game. The cards themselves seem VERY cheaply produced. They are very thin, don't use the matted-fabric (I don't know the official term) style of card like you see with bicycle.

Does this force you to get sleeves? If so, what sleeve do you like the best? I almost want to get sleeves before I even play the game.. Ouch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thraka wrote:
I just got the game. The cards themselves seem VERY cheaply produced. They are very thin, don't use the matted-fabric (I don't know the official term) style of card like you see with bicycle.

Does this force you to get sleeves? If so, what sleeve do you like the best? I almost want to get sleeves before I even play the game.. Ouch.

Are magic cards better quality? I sleeve them, but not because they're not "as good as" bicycle cards. I want them to last, even bicycle cards wear down if unsleeved.

I think thunderstone cards are the type you're talking about. The ones we have are unsleeved and we can tell the core cards from the expansions. Regret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve De George
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know, I've never touched a magic card. :)

I've generally found three types of cards. The matted cards, the glossy\flimsy cards (killer bunnies), and these flimsy cards. Generally I rank card type based on accidental bending. You can bend matted cards pretty far before a crease will appear. But these cards seem like a crease will appear very very easily.

But I've been thinking about sleeving cards on games I play a lot anyhow because they just wear out eventually. :)

But even with a sleeve, will bending still happen? With cheaper cards it seems more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I wouldn't bend cards whether they're "matte" or not. What is it that you do that would so likely cause accidental bending? I think it would be best if you just tried to shuffle more carefully, I daresay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that using playing-card quality cardboard for this game would drive the price up enough to make it prohibitive for people to play it. I actually don't see that quality of cardboard used in games very often.

As long as you're not terribly clumsy, and can shuffle reasonably well, you shouldn't have any problems with bending. A lot of people like to sleeve their cards anyway, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Trent
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the turney rules sleeves are required at official events. Don't be a scrub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve because small wear will make it so that in less than a year you will be able to tell core cards from non-core cards just by looking at them. In a game with random draw from a deck that's not so good, so I sleeve (because I expect to play a lot, and thus shuffle a lot).

I had this happen with my first copy of Dominion, you knew if a Money or VP card was in your opponents hands / top of your deck based on the relative wear between the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve De George
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Well you know how it is.. Drop a card here or there.. Lay something around on the table, sometimes bad shuffling, etc. It just happens :) I wouldn't ever play in a tourny so I'm not used to the "sleeve or leave" practice. (Did I coin a new phrase?) ;) I was just going to buy the FF sleeve recommended on the box, should I buy 'em somewhere else?

Tuism wrote:
I think I wouldn't bend cards whether they're "matte" or not. What is it that you do that would so likely cause accidental bending? I think it would be best if you just tried to shuffle more carefully, I daresay. :)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't sleeve my cards, because I prefer the feel of cardboard over plastic, and I'm not worried about resale value. Once they start to show noticeable wear, I'll bite the bullet and sleeve them, but that hasn't happened yet. (I've had the game for about 6 months now, and I play fairly frequently.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw someones set last week. and every card had super wear. i asked how many game he had played. it was like 11. i'd played more than 11 before i sleeved and i've got no marks.

very weird.

but yes i would sleeve. 100 sleeves is enough for you corp and runner decks you're playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the quality was decent, but I sleeved anyway, I tend to do for any game where the cards are shuffled regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
I saw someones set last week. and every card had super wear. i asked how many game he had played. it was like 11. i'd played more than 11 before i sleeved and i've got no marks.

Some people are all thumbs when it comes to shuffling. Learning how to shuffle is not that hard. All you have to do is get a pack of playing cards (or some other cards you don't care about damaging), and practice, practice, practice.

I think that I've gotten reasonably good at it. It's not a perfect shuffle every time, but I don't bend the cards anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I double sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
pirate_chef wrote:
abodi wrote:

Some people are all thumbs when it comes to shuffling. Learning how to shuffle is not that hard. All you have to do is get a pack of playing cards (or some other cards you don't care about damaging), and practice, practice, practice.

I think that I've gotten reasonably good at it. It's not a perfect shuffle every time, but I don't bend the cards anymore.

I also have no visible wear no my cards and I've had them since September.

You don't even need to shuffle the normal way (although the second part of the shuffle will start to bend them no matter what), you just take your deck, make 8 piles or so, alternating which cards go in which pile in order, then put them back together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Picker
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically only sleeve my play decks. However, I have a "playable" deck for all Runners and Corps. I would at least get 100 sleeves which you could protect a Runner and a Corp deck. Who knows in 10-15 years, the 1st print run of A:NR may be as valuable as the Alpha, Beta Magic cards.... Shuffle up and jack in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thraka wrote:

That's called a linen finish. My understanding is that it's just a pattern stamped onto the the face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I sleeved with the cheap Ultra Pro sleeves. They are called penny sleeves as you get 100 for the dollar. With the game being heavily influence by bluffing I think not having marks on the cards is important. Also I found it much easier to peek at ice when the cards were sleeved, you just slide another card under it to flip it up towards you.

You don't have to sleeve, but considering you could get by with 100 sleeves for $1, it can't hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Asmor wrote:
Thraka wrote:

That's called a linen finish. My understanding is that it's just a pattern stamped onto the the face.

Actully a real linen laced paper contain linen fiber to prevent tearing, but sadly most of the time we only get a linen finish wich dosn'nt do much, and none of the two offer any protection from wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hunsaker
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thraka wrote:
If so, what sleeve do you like the best?

Although there are a lot of complaints about Mayday Games quality, I have always been really happy with their sleeves for my Dominion cards. They give a very snug fit, which I like. However, the A:NR cards are a different size than Dominion, and they definitely do not fit snugly. They cards seem to be "bridge sized" rather than "poker sized" so it is not a good fit. I tried putting a poker card in the mayday sleeve, and the fit was snug how I like it. The difference is about 6 mm, which to me seems like a lot.

Can anyone comment on how the FFG supply sleeves fit vs the mayday sleeves? I uploaded an image of how my card fits in the mayday sleeve, but it is pending approval.

Thraka wrote:
I almost want to get sleeves before I even play the game.. Ouch.

I did too. I ordered my sleeves from mayday games the same day I ordered A:NR. I got the game a few days later, and the sleeves four weeks later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Murphy
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved all of my cards immediately.
For me there was simply no reason not to.

I bought this item, for the price you cant go wrong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trading-Card-Sleeves-Protectors-Poke...

Another nice thing about these sleeves is that shuffling is easy - you can split the deck and slide on half straight into the other as the edges 'mesh' together and splits all the cards up well.

The 500 pack is good though considering by the end of the genesis cycle there will be over 600 cards in my collection, I'll be buying more!

EDIT: I take it back - I got a really bad batch from them which were slightly blue tinted and ALL (in 5 packs of 100) are cut massively too tall.

New option in UltraPro Profit and they are pretty nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the FFG sleeves. Some people dislike how much longer the sleeve is than the card, but it's about 3mm and I think that is a reasonable amount. The width is pretty snug (in a good way)

I don't believe I've ever had a single sleeve be defective out of the package, or split later. The quality control on FFG's sleeves seems to be top-notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thraka wrote:
Well you know how it is.. Drop a card here or there.. Lay something around on the table, sometimes bad shuffling, etc. It just happens I wouldn't ever play in a tourny so I'm not used to the "sleeve or leave" practice. (Did I coin a new phrase?) I was just going to buy the FF sleeve recommended on the box, should I buy 'em somewhere else?

Tuism wrote:
I think I wouldn't bend cards whether they're "matte" or not. What is it that you do that would so likely cause accidental bending? I think it would be best if you just tried to shuffle more carefully, I daresay.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I think I played about fifty games unsleeved before a sloppy shuffle nicked the corner of one of my cards ever so slightly. Other than that, there's no visible wear on them yet. So, basically: yes, you will wear the cards eventually, but if you're just playing a few casual games every couple of weeks, you're probably fine.

As for sleeves, I use the FFG sleeves myself. One pack works for one deck, which is convenient, though I suspect you could get just about the cheapest sleeves you can find and those would work fine (since the cardboard itself is sturdier than it seems at first), and what you really want to protect is the corners/edges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
TKNumber3 wrote:
I sleeved with the cheap Ultra Pro sleeves. They are called penny sleeves as you get 100 for the dollar. With the game being heavily influence by bluffing I think not having marks on the cards is important. Also I found it much easier to peek at ice when the cards were sleeved, you just slide another card under it to flip it up towards you.

You don't have to sleeve, but considering you could get by with 100 sleeves for $1, it can't hurt.

Where are you buying these? I see 100 for $6 on Cool Stuff Inc and Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pirate_chef wrote:
abodi wrote:

+1, I see some people out there with horrifyingly bad shuffling techniques, it's no wonder they have to buy sleeves.

I'd say don't use Mayday (bad reputation) or penny sleeves (cheap for a reason, and typically poor fit). Beyond that, any brand is probably fine.

Personally, I refuse to use any brand that comes 50 to a pack because as soon as you split ONE sleeve, which will eventually happen, they're unusable for some games. For Netrunner, you have a little extra room but not that much. So, I typically buy Player's Choice which comes 60 to a set. I've seen brands that have 80, but then that's generally overkill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Syphus wrote:
TKNumber3 wrote:

Where are you buying these? I see 100 for $6 on Cool Stuff Inc and Amazon.

My local stores all carry them. They are very thin which I like, but are not the snuggest fit. I had two packs of the ffg sleeves which are much better, but at 7x the cost I moved away from them when I decided to sleeve all my cards, not just the current decks I was using. Search "penny sleeves" on coolstuffinc and you will find them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.