Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
This session report covers four full games played in four days between Xmas and New Year at Tony and Bridgette's bach in Waitarere (East Coast, North Island, New Zealand).

Both Bridgette and Nadia have played euros like Alhambra and Hunters and Gatherers before, but preferred to watch a couple of (let's be honest) chick flicks instead on Power Grid on the nights of 27th and 28th December.

Night One: Tyro Power Grid game of 4 players v The English Patient.

OK, I'd played two trial games of 3 players - the first just to Stage 1, the second to the full end. Tony, Emile and Geoff and neither seen or played this game before. All but Geoff were quite euro experienced. I needed to check the rules to see what power stations to remove for the 4 player game. I was banker both times, and in the second game I had some help to put the resources back at the end of the round.

We played on Germany. Our first few auctions were pretty tentative. Everyone got the idea of resource buying and stockpiling pretty quickly. Emile probably picked the wrong starting point, and got a little bottled in before Stage 2 began. We began the familiar see-sawing of position, but Tony was able to get the power station he needed at the right time to claim 17 power plants. I was second with 16, with the other two a further power plant back. oil won it for Tony.

The girls had paused the movie a couple of times so to the running time of 160mins we'd probably better add 10mins. We finished 5 minutes after that - but that's pretty good for a first game. Everyone was keen again to play the next day.

Night Two: Power Grid game of 4 players v A Very Long Engagement.

Another war / romance movie, this time in French. The WWI war sound effecets would have made this more suitable for Memoir'44 or similar. I should point out we had to share the same room in the small bach, with a (luckily pretty tired) 3 year old sleeping down the hall.

Everyone kept the same colours, but we switched to the US map. It seemed that this would give a bigger advantage to the first to build a network (Tony), but this time he was stuck with small power stations for a long time, allowing fellow east-coasty Geoff to win the game. I was doing pretty well in the mid-north-west, which allowed me a great late run in the last rounds. I was just 4 electros short of getting a bigger power station and being able to buy the resources and connections for 18 power stations.

Emile got the worst spot in the South, but like me recovered well at the end. We all finished on 17 power plants, Geoff 30 electros ahead of Tony, me 20 electros further back and Emile with 1 electro left in his hand. Geoff could have built and powered 18 plants, and in fact should have won in the previous turn when he was the only one who could power 17. Strangely Emile seemed to stick with wind power again, much to his regret.

nuclear power got cheap enough to win it for Geoff. This time we took 5 minutes more than the movie, which was shorter at 133 minutes.

The next day Emile, Lynette and I had a game of Scrabble...see under that.

Finally, on the 31st, while waiting for the steaks to arrive we managed a game of Through The Desert...see under this game for full camel goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.