Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't know if this should be posted here or under the Fleet expansion.

Catalyst has just posted free pdf downloads for all of the British Ships published to date. This looks to include the main game, box fleet, and previous pdfs. I think this is great service, especially if you don't want to mark up your originals when you play. I was going to scan and print ships as needed. Now I don't have to scan.

My question is: Is this good or bad for the business model? I don't see playing larger games (yet), so I was holding off on buying the Fleet boxes since they were the same models. Now, I don't have to. I would have been very happy to pay a few dollars for downloadable pdfs and was back at the website to look at getting the James packages when I saw this today. Again, now I don't have to. I hope they do the same for the French Fleet.

I would have paid a little more to get high quality cards in a module without the models. And I would definitely get new ship sculpts and new Nation boxes, but I don't need the British box and as some have noted, I could get a new base set instead of the two Fleet boxes out now. Have they 'killed' those two products?

Is Catalyst just preempting others from posting scans of the ships from getting out there anyhow? There are already pictures of the four cards from the Fleet boxes on the pages here on BGG.

Any thoughts out there? Is this good for the game? Is it good for Catalyst? I like that they have made this available to the community. Hope this game works for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I read the same announcement yesterday, but figured that somebody would post it here before i could get around to doing it...slow typist.

It appears that they are intending to do the same thing (publish the PDF files) for all of the French ships as well in the very near future.

imho: I think that Catalyst is trying very hard to satisfy it's Lev fan base by keeping them interested ( I hope it's not too little too late - as we grow impatient for the new countries and accessories to be released); and also they may indeed be attempting to stay ahead of the power curve, since as you said, folks are already scanning and posting the cards anyway.

I feel it is a great service. Since it is such an expensive product, many of us do not want to risk damaging the all important ship cards that come with the game. Eventually, I would like to have a duplicate set that I can use and not worry about a stranger (or child) at a store demo or gaming group meeting accidentally pick up a PERMANENT MARKER instead of a Dry-Erase one and ruin my gaming experience. I have just a little OCD when it comes to keeping thing nice and neat.

Two good friends of mine demo'ed this game in '11 at GenCon and loved it, so I reluctantly bought into it as well for these very same reasons. Now I have a $200.00 investment to protect. I do hope this game succeeds and doesn't go OOP like some of my other favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can get a little fanatical trying to keep things pristine too. So no need to explain.
As I posted on a different thread, I'll probably print out copies and laminate them or just go old school and put them in plastic sheets like my old SSDs from Star Fleet Battles.
Glad to hear about the French fleet. I agree that this is a great gesture to the players. Hope they work out the playtest kinks for the Germans and publish them and the Italian fleet soon. Would definitely support those products, even if they came out as an alternate starter set (i.e. two fleets, two boards, two sets of dice, and the all important piece of string).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, yesss... we must not forget that all important essential piece of string. Cheers; - )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish that Catalyst had an a la carte approach to the product. Buy the starter set. Want some different ship cards that work with the same models? Here you go - $10. Want more mapboards? Here you go - $30 for two. Want more of the same models? Here you go . . .

I felt the base game was a good price for what I got, but the expansions . . . meh. They could've done several things to make the expansions better . . . charge $60 MSRP and include a two-panel mapboard with it, or include different models instead of copies of models players already have.

Different models would definitely have made it worth it, but I suspect that was too expensive on an untried game line. I bought the expansions anyway - completist that I am (I really need to get over that) - but I do hope that the game line survives and that future "expansions" include more stuff not already available at a moderately higher price.

When they only "new" thing in the expansion are some ship cards . . . meh.

The game itself is immersive and fun - I've been trying to solo the game to get familiar enough with the Lt's rules to teach and host. We've got a local game shop that I'd like to demo the game at . . . they have a lot of D.U.S.T. players, so they might really get into the miniatures for this one.

Anyway - good discussion, with some useful information. I think the series will be really rounded out one the Germans/Italians come into play, and hopefully at that point it will take off.

Does anyone have any information on how successful the game has been so far?

For the future -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just went back the website and checked out the FAQ. According to that, plans can change, the first Faction Box will have Germans and Italians and they will also release a Fleet box for each att he same time. So I guess you could get both in one box or either in two boxes (expand slowly and spread your cost out). That would work.

Looks like most of the ships in the James' downloads were not included in the British fleet free pdfs. So, looks like I'm going to get those. Happy to do that for $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that the "Faction Box" with Germans and Italians is going to be like a second edition CORE SET with the British and French?

Then that will probably run in the $100 range again and the individual Fleet Expansions will be in the $60 again. It looks like I'll have to start $aving to make another $220 investment again in this new game system that may or may not even be around in another year. Two years ago I was debating about getting into Leviathans, Battleship Galaxies, or Star Trek Fleet Captains, and decided to wait awhile and see what happens. I read some reviews about "STFC's" poor quality game tiles, although the models and mechanics were great; and sadly watched "BSG" be prematurely discontinued (it's already OOP); so let's hope that "Lev's" was the right decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johngee wrote:
Are you saying that the "Faction Box" with Germans and Italians is going to be like a second edition CORE SET with the British and French?

Just going by what the FAQ has: http://monstersinthesky.com/faq/
Q: How will the other six factions be introduced?
A: The current plan has Faction Box Sets releasing down the line following the launch of the line, pairing up factions as done in the Core Box Set. For example, the current planned first Faction Box Set would contain the Germans and Italians. The Faction Box Set would be accompanied with the simultaneously release of the German Fleet Box and Italian Fleet Box (as done with the Core Box Set and the French/British).

Nothing about pricing or what else is in the box. As for the fleet boxes, its personal preference as to whether you need them or not. I'm disappointed they are the exact same models (not even different paint schemes). I just got my set and I don't think I'll need larger games yet, so I'm not running out to get the fleet boxes. For me, it's an either or.

Don't know anything about STFC, but I've heard from other who were hoping for more from Battleship Galaxies. I do hope Catalyst gets the other nations out sooner rather than later. I see potential if they can get out regularly timed expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with the MonstersInTheSky site, but haven't checked out the FAQ's yet.
tylex wrote:

Johngee wrote:

Two years ago [at GenCon 2011] I was debating about getting into Leviathans, Battleship Galaxies, or Star Trek Fleet Captains, and decided to wait awhile and see what happens. I read some reviews about "STFC's" poor quality game tiles, although the models and mechanics were great; and sadly watched "BSG" be prematurely discontinued (it's already OOP); so let's hope that "Lev's" was the right decision.

Don't know anything about STFC, but I've heard from other who were hoping for more from Battleship Galaxies. I do hope Catalyst gets the other nations out sooner rather than later. I see potential if they can get out regularly timed expansions.

My friend Chas in NYC, wrote a lengthy review of STFC on another website I frequent: HeroScapeRs-dot-COM called: "Star Trek Fleet Captains: Silk Purse From Sow's Ear?" back on December 3rd, 2012. Here's a link to it:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=38823

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
Thanks for the quick link to STFC. Didn't really have much inclination to try it and after quickly scanning your friend's report, probably still won't. If I need my Star Trek fix, I've still got SFB. I need a weekend and my list of players is dwindling cry but my old SFB buddy is trying to convince me to move to Fed Commander gulp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.