Popular Tags: [View All]
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the ones currently on my radar, hopefully someone that has played some of them or all of them can comment on which will be a great 2 player game:

Age of Steam
Union Pacific
Stephenson’s Rocket
1830 - Railroads and Robber Barons
Railroad Tycoon
Volldampf

Note I'm not considering TTR as I tend to lean towards heavier strategy type games that have multiple mechanics/styles and multiple paths to victory. Bluffing and screw you tactics are great elements we enjoy also. Player interaction/conflict, building/creating, exploring/adventuring, trading/negotiation, magic/special powers or abilities are all good.

Basically the more stuff going on the better but I'm open to any really fun game suggestions. I'm also willing to try variants or bend rules to enjoy a game if that works and playing 2 seats to equal 4 playes no problem if its fun. Price and OOP not a big deal and long games don't scare us.

Thanks in advance. Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which TRAIN game for 2 players should I get? (Not TTR)
Of the four you listed--none!

Union Pacific is a train game--IN THEME ONLY! No that that it is a bad game, but like Ticket tro Ride, it's mechanics simulate NOTHING about running a railroad. It is a set collecting game (You are trying to collect largest sets of "stock" and receive points for having the most and second most in each "company".)

Stephenson's Rocket is actually very similar to UP but it bit more complex--it does have some track building with the goal of connecting to certain cities, which actually gives it more of RR flavor. But you basically "collecting" in three areas which are mutually exclusive:
- stock in various companies (First and second)
- stations on various lines (again first & second)
- "Industry" chips (taking a chip from a city represesents developing industry in that city) (again first & second are awarded)

And the game has some odd mechanics: shareholders can force a "vote" to reroute a company's track with the penalty of discarding stock if they fail. Stations are built putside of cities, etc.

Not that either of these games is a bad game-0-they are both excellent games. I wouldn't call either ofthem a railroad game.

1830 and Age Steam are both excellent railroads games. But all four of these games aren't really playable with only 2 players. All are better with at least 3 players, and better with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the man behind the curtain. He wants a railroad simulation, not a train game. He should go stand in the corner with the people who want "wargame" to only mean "historical conflict simulation." Now that we're done with that...

From your list, I wouldn't recommend Age of Steam or 1830 for two players. Great games, but they need 3+ players to be worth the time.

Stephenson's Rocket can be played with 2 and it's, well, just OK, but at least you can do it. Much better with 3-4 players.

I didn't think you can play Union Pacific with only two players, but there is a discussion in the forum which mentions several variants, and one is highly recommended. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/65490

All four of the games you mention are fabulous, just not with 2 players.

TransAmerica works well with 2 players. It's simpler and quicker than Ticket to Ride.

I'd also recommend taking a look at StreetCar and some of the Mayfair crayon games -- in particular, Nippon Rails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're feeling wacky, mixing India Rails and the Nuclear War variant ("The India/Pakistan War") can be fun with the right group.

(If you didn't know, Flying Buffalo sells a set of cards for India Rails that brings their Nuclear War card game into the mix. The set comes with an orange crayon that you can use to mark the radioactive portions of the board for when the missiles start flying. You can also use warheads to speed your tunneling through mountain terrain.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Builder would probably do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hudson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy 2-player games of Railroad Tycoon.
It seems a bit silly though since the board is about triple the size of ordinary games.
Once we played with just 2/3 board and it seemed to work fine.

I have not played any of the others.
Have you considered Santa Fe Rails? I am curious about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephenson's Rocket plays quite well with 2, but maybe I'm in the minority on that one.

Also, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned 1825 Unit 3 (specifically for 2P). And I've played 18Scan with 2, and found it very enjoyable (though I'm not a hard-core 18xx player, by any stretch of the imagination).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for more of a simulation train game then maybe Silverton would work with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! This is something I've been wanting to know as well. Thanks for posting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I see you edited your original post and added some games to the list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which TRAIN game for 2 players should I get?(Not TTR)UPD
jayjonbeach wrote:
Railroad Tycoon
Volldampf

I played RRT once, with 3, and found it too open; I imagine 2 would be worse, in this regard.

Volldampf, OTOH, works very well with any number that I've played with (2-6).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
jayjonbeach wrote:
1830 - Railroads and Robber Barons

You mention 1830, but have you considered 1825? Unit 3 is specifically designed for 2 players. And I have heard recommendations that Unit 2 also plays 2 (and more) very well also.

When you mentioned magic and stuff, Iron Dragon popped into my head, but I haven't played the game (nor any of the crayon-rail games) so don't really know how well suited they are for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the Mayfair crayon rail games (the Empire Builder games) are in some respects multiplayer solitaire games. There are easy modifications to play them with two players - only letting one person build track in each of the small cities is the easiest. Check them out at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listid=32...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houserule Jay
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I didn't realize there were soooo many train games, more than I thought after checking the database further upon seeing the replies here.

AOS still interests me due to it's "heavyness" and mix of mechanics and some people have reported success with 2 players, obviously a different game to be sure as it is with most multiplayer games playing with 2. Being rated the highest also has a factor in this.

There are definitely some other good options out there that would play better for 2, thanks for the info. I just need to check to make sure they are meaty enough for my tastes and also check to see which ones provide the most game play options or have the most things to do. Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.