Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Newman
United States
Wantagh
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Why Simon H. you ask? Because he fits the definition of BGGeek as well as anyone I've seen on this site. We have a lot in common vis-a-vis the games we like and play and as is obvious once you see his profile, he loves sci-fi and so do I. Most importantly, anyone as stat intensive as Simon must have some pertinent observations to share.

My honor, my pleasure. Geek of the Week, Simon H. tiggers!

Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

tiggers wrote:

Hi everyone!

Thanks to Al for asking me to follow him as GotW! I’m not sure why I was chosen but I’m going to enjoy it and have some fun. I’ve popped into the GotW thread many times in the past and often enjoy asking questions of the current victim and seeing how they answer them (especially if they are someone I know personally or have interacted with on BGG).

My gaming history will sound familiar to many. Growing up in the 80’s we had a few kids games (e.g. Mouse Trap, Stay Alive, Snap, Uno) around the place but weren’t a gaming family. We had Monopoly on the computer, and we played Rummikub, Pictionary and Scrabble as a family occasionally but that’s about it. So I thought that board games were Trivial Pursuit and party games and that was it.

In 1998 a friend invited me to a game night. I have never even heard of Risk. It was ok but didn’t thrill me even though I won my first game. (Quick story about that: I had no idea what I was doing and I was being killed. I was done to my last two territories and the player who it was my mission to kill had their final territory right next to me with one army in it, so in a 1 vs 1 die role I captured the territory, knocked out that player and won the game!) That same person introduced me to Settlers of Catan. From then on we had regular ad-hoc game nights. The vast majority of the time game night was several games of Settlers, but sometimes we played other games: Risk, King Maker, Diplomacy (Ugh – never again!) and Civilisation come to mind.

In reality though it was a Settlers group. I was hooked. I bought the base set (English 3rd ed), Seafarers, and Cities and Knights – and each of those was $80! I didn’t know any better but it was worth it. The sheer amount of plays made them worthwhile. My copy of Settlers is VERY worn out and dollars per hour of entertainment actually made it very cheap.

At some point I found or was pointed to (can’t remember which) BGG. Well that was it. I stalked a bit and, after a couple of months, signed up in Nov 07. I checked out the rankings to see what was in second place after Settlers and to my shock it wasn’t even in the top 10! It was 30 or so IIRC.

My initial reaction: “What!? 30 games that are better than Settlers? These people don’t know what they are talking about. I mean who’s even heard of this Puerto Rico game anyway?”

So I had to check out the number one game and I’m glad I did. I loved PR then and still do. (I’m not as burned out on it as I am Settlers – approx 150 plays later). From then on the collection grew: The Princes of Florence was next (still have and enjoy it) and I think my wife began to cotton on that this was a thing. Storage space has always been a factor so the collection has hovered at around 120-150 for several years now.

Now I love playing with my kids. We have some easy memory based games, but my little girl often asks to play ‘daddy games’ which is excellent. These games are usually kids games that adults find interesting (e.g. Giro Galoppo, Gulo Gulo, Château Roquefort) or kid friendly games that I’ve modified or are simple enough (City Square Off, San Ta Si). It’s great seeing her learn the game, learn what you need to do to win, and learn how to lose gracefully.

I’ve enjoyed interacting on BGG. The highlights for me over the past 5 years: reading news, posting images, meeting other geeks – especially local Aussie geeks (but others too), hearing about sales, going to conventions and putting faces to avatars, microbagding, even some PnP as well as a bit of G4GG and just generally enjoying my hobby with others who share it. I’ve created over 50 geeklists over that time but my first is still my favourite and I still maintain it. ( ) I love sci-fi and gaming so this list is just fun for me.

I’m a eurogamer at heart but enjoy other games also – especially dex games. My gaming philosophy now is twofold: be willing to play every game at least once, and no matter how good a game is, it’s only as fun as the people you’re with; if they are enjoying the game, that makes it so much better.

I have a bunch of folks I game regularly with: some old friends (who have taken up the hobby with me), some met through other gamers, some met on the Geek, my kids, colleagues and some new friends who are learning the joy of gaming. I also love sharing my hobby with the other potential gamers in my life: parents, sister and her family, folks at church, co-workers etc. Thanks to everyone I’ve enjoyed gaming with!

Poll
I lived in Africa for 8 months as a missionary.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
true
77.5% 86
lie
22.5% 25
Voters 111
I snapped my ACL whilst trying out for a local semi-pro basketball team.
true
57.0% 65
lie
43.0% 49
Voters 114
My wife delivered our 2nd child in the front seat of the car on route to the hospital with no assistance other than me to catch him.
true
59.6% 68
lie
40.4% 46
Voters 114
This poll is now closed.   118 answers
Poll created by Al Newman
Closes: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 am

Ok, let's start with a few questions.

d10-1 Why such an intense focus on statistics?
d10-2 If you could have designed one of the games in your collection, which would it be?
d10-3 What is your favorite game dealing with Science Fiction?
d10-4 Your Game of the Year the last three years?
d10-5 Where are all the Aussie game designers hiding?!

Ok, Simon. You should have a wonderful week ahead of you. Looking forward to all your responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Simon - Well deserved!!

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

Link to profile

Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats!

edited- D'Oh! Too late!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Well deserved, tiggers! I have long appreciated your New or Upcoming Science Fiction Themed Games geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Simon. A very worthy GotW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Simon - you do plenty to deserve the honour. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats tiggers! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Simon!

Enjoy your week on the spotlight. thumbsup

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Newman
United States
Wantagh
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, sorry I forgot to put that in. Corrected it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Simon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tiggers!!! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Simon, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!!! Enjoy your week!!!

Please tell something about what you like most in your favourite games!

Hugs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Z
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay Tiggers.
Happy Geek of the Week week geek

what are some of your favourite gaming memories?

If you were a superhero, what/who would be your: superhero name? superpower? sidekick? archnemesis? secret weakness?
If you already are a superhero please feel free to answer the above questions with misleading information.

What is the biggest coincidence you have ever experienced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Smith
Australia
Ashburton
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Simon, have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Awesome choice. Looking through your profile, it is amazing that you haven't been GotW already. Totally deserving.

Some questions for you:

d10-1 Of all your contributions (amazing), which one are you the most proud of?

d10-2 I noted that you haven't ranked a game a true 10. What would a game need to have for you to give it that ranking? How do you qualify your scoring for the ones you have scored?

d10-3 I see you got the "Eye of the Gods" badge. Did you have a favorite moment in that game?

d10-4 I also note that you have the golden microbadge creator badge. What is your favorite badge you desinged?

That is all for now. Have a great and well-deserved week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Simon! I hope you have a blast this week (and every week mind you - but you know what I mean!).

What is the funniest thing that's happened to you in a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Al,

thanks for your stint at GotW and for giving me a chance to share the fun.

Ok, let's start answer with a few questions.

d10-1 Why such an intense focus on statistics?

I'm not sure. I just like to see the patterns in plays and track how things change over time. I think stats can be both useless and helpful (sometimes at the same time) depending on how you use them.

d10-2 If you could have designed one of the games in your collection, which would it be?

Tigris and Euphrates has a special place with me cause I just love so many elements of it's design. If I wanted $ then I'd choose Dominion or Settlers.

d10-3 What is your favorite game dealing with Science Fiction?

No question: Race for the Galaxy. It's easily in my top 5 games of all time and the theme just works for me. I know it's not for everyone but I just love it. I'll play it over and over (espeically 2 player advanced) and even if
Chris
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keeps beating me narrowly.

d10-4 Your Game of the Year the last three years?

Ooh tough question. Umm there are several I really like: Alien Frontiers, Navegador, Junta: Viva el Presidente!, Lords of Vegas, Dominion: Prosperity & Strasbourg. However the one that really stands out for me would be The Castles of Burgundy. Feld has created a really nice design that doesn't tire, gives lots of choices, many paths to victory and a tightness that, at the same time, doesn't punish the occaisional poor decision.

d10-5 Where are all the Aussie game designers hiding?!

Well most of the people I play with seem to have an idea or a prototype or three lying around. It's really hard to get published in Australia so unless you self publish or get lucky overseas there isn't much on often. However I can't answer this question without mentioning
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
who always has something on the boil that is very well thought through and entertaining. Keep an eye on him for more gaming fun from down under.

Al Newman wrote:
Ok, Simon. You should have a wonderful week ahead of you. Looking forward to all your responses!

Thanks! I hope so and I look forward to the questions and answering them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Congratulations!

Thanks, Kreik!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
Congratulations Simon - Well deserved!!

thumbsup

Thanks Stew - coming from a professor of gaming that mean a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:

Link to profile

Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats!

edited- D'Oh! Too late!

Thanks, sweetgotham!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
Well deserved, tiggers! I have long appreciated your New or Upcoming Science Fiction Themed Games geeklist.

Hey Jude! (Sorry had to include that). Thanks! I have long appreciated your input into my sci-fi geeklist. I'm glad that you and others enjoy it as much as I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.