charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Fantasy Flight Games,
Having recently discovered Runebound, I have a huge favor to ask. Could you please re-print the expansion cards. I know this is a lot to ask, but when I see how much they are going for on eBay, or how impossible it is to find some of them anywhere, I am begging you.
I have a great idea actually, you could release sets of them...like say a character deck expansion set, with all six expansion in one box. You could then, one month later release an Adventure Variant Expansion set, etc.
I know I am showing up late to the dance, so to speak, but I still want to be able to enjoy my game as much as those that started from the beginning.
Looking forward to my Expansion Sets, Thanks for listening. Hope you have a great time loading the trucks full with all the new Sets, I know I would.

Yours Sincerely,
Charlie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W McG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good post Charlie. I'm in the exact same boat as you. If you're patient though (assuming FF doesn't listen to you) you can find some good bulk deals on ebay. Granted you'll still be paying more than retail likely but not quite as much.

I did this awhile ago. It actually required that I buy the base game again, but I got like 7 expansions (one big box, six smaller ones, and the base game) for around $100 (before shipping). Mind you these are used (but mine actually came with 2-3 of the smaller variants unopened).

That's a significant investment, but at least with this one you know the game is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Romanoski
United States
Osceola
Wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat as well, its a really stinky boat. Every once and awhile i seems that you can find a pack at MSRP somewhere weird on the net, but that's about it. I be happy with a simple print on demand model, but I Iike to OPs idea as well. Such a great game, its such a waste they've let it die out like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add me to the list of recent discoverers. My FLGS has a few of the expansions but not 'enough' of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw this on another forum post...

Runebound essential collection
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

it is not available yet...and only has 6 expansions, but it is a great start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Essential Collection came out early 2011 and disappeared pretty quick. It is not up and coming, it came and went.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/92502/runebo...

The reality is a bunch of the earlier Runebound expansion packs were pretty hard to find 2 years ago. It took me a good year to track down all the expansion decks and that involved paying $30 to $50 for a few decks as well as buying a bunch of English decks from overseas.

I think most of us are in agreement that 2nd edition is dead. While overall it is a good game there are areas that really could use rework.

You can still easily get most of the big boxes -- Sands, Mists, and Wastes from Amazon for a normal price, but the stock does seem low.

However, Sands is listed on FFG future release page and has been now for a few months, which is odd considering the base game can be hard to find. So, it seems like something is in work for Runebound in the future. I would be very surprised if it is a straight 2nd edition reprint of Sands.

My bet is that it is going to be an overhauled version of Sands, new graphics and reworking the mechanics to allow it to be expanded. The big boxed were great thematically and had some fun mechanics in each one but it doesn't take long to cycle an encounter deck a few times. I could see them offering a upgrade pack to allow old owners to upgrade to the new cards and rules that allow expansions. One way to give Sands a new paint job and not completely piss off old owners.

Maybe it will be a new jumping off point for a Runebound 3rd edition completely.

My reco would be buy the big boxes and enjoy them until this mystery version of Sands appears maybe in a year. Just don't pay crazy prices -- none of the decks are worth paying the high prices that are out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:

My reco would be buy the big boxes and enjoy them until this mystery version of Sands appears maybe in a year. Just don't pay crazy prices -- none of the decks are worth paying the high prices that are out there.

I agree with this. I've been getting my small box expansions from math trades and auctions here on the geek, and have roughly half of them (all the scenario expansions and half the card expansions) from that venue. I also picked up a couple from amazon and CSI because they were cheap. I would strongly recommend getting the big boxes. I have the 3 available and love them all. They are amazing. I'd recommend getting those and whatever else you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gogol Poe
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'd be interested in them expanding Runebound into 3rd edition, maybe tying it into the Descent 2nd edition franchise. I primarily found out about Runebound BECAUSE of Descent.

I think theres a demand for a simplified wilderness/campaign addition to Descent 2 that could easily fit into something akin to Runebound. A detailed board game rpg thing... maybe using a framework like in the Fallout 1 and 2 games for PC?! could rock!

Otherwise I'm gonna have to bust out cash for all the stuff I don't have in 2nd edition... so expensive :-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish they'd say something so we could stop all the worried hair-pulling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:

ThiS. They know very well what they are doing with the franchise. They probably don't know when, which is why they are being silent.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
Montag451 wrote:

ThiS. They know very well what they are doing with the franchise. They probably don't know when, which is why they are being silent.

Jorune

They actually have a category for that in their "upcoming" list. Directly from FFG's own website:

Quote:
Concept Stage:

These products have been announced and placed on our schedule. They are undergoing R&D and scheduling, but are not yet actively being developed by our staff.

If there is a 3rd edition, it's surely in the concept stage by now, if not already in development. Problem is, FFG has changed its policy on announcements and seems to only announce upcoming games when they're well into development rather than in the concept stage. I believe Gears of War was the last game they announced in that fashion.

That's not to say anything in regards to FFG's pattern for letting games die out, in which there is no final farewell or news post, it simply vanishes. If Runebound is destined for the board-game graveyard, we won't know for some time, and only then because some one saw it missing from FFG's page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you watch the

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/66420/metalist-for-gee...

there is usually RB stuff up for auction quite frequently. This is your best bet to get the stuff at decent prices as opposed to getting raked over the coals by OP Ebay stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Campbell
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I have some card expansions for trade.

New:
Beasts and Bandits
Traps and Terrors
The Cataclysm
Rituals and Ruins

Used:
The Scepter of Kyros
Relics of Legend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or people could feel free to spend their money on things they enjoy. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking to venture into other board games, but outside the games I own I didn't find anything that would captivate me that is in print. Each of the expansions for RB I have provided me good experience, and I will be replaying. It's not like Talisman expansions that really don't add anything to the game...

If people can find adventure variants at or below original retail price why shouldn't they buy? Just because the game is 5 years old? For some of us it's new In 5 years we probably won't want new expansions to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voss
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, what other games would you consider being similar to Runebound? I know Mage Knight comes up frequently in discussions. Talisman also, but I don't think I could recommend it as an alternative. I have also seen a World of Warcraft boardgame come up a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayonet Recon wrote:
Out of curiosity, what other games would you consider being similar to Runebound? I know Mage Knight comes up frequently in discussions. Talisman also, but I don't think I could recommend it as an alternative. I have also seen a World of Warcraft boardgame come up a few times.

FWIW, Mage Knight is a fantastic alternative to Runebound, though it's a lot more heavy/complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Bayonet Recon wrote:

FWIW, Mage Knight is a fantastic alternative to Runebound, though it's a lot more heavy/complex.

Not sure I'd call it heavy, but definitely more complex. There are more moving parts to the game, but many of those parts are still randomized (mana dice, your deck/hand for the most part). It's a bit of a euro-style approach to a Runebound type of adventure game.

For a thinking-man's adventure game, I would suggest Legends of Andor which is basically just a euro adventure game, but fairly light. There was also a Greco-Roman euro game that was a straight up euro-adventure, it seemed to be a bit heavier than LoA (can't remember the name).

A couple other common suggestions: Return of the Heroes (fairly light, extremely generic fantasy), or Prophecy (a pretty standard, Talisman-esque adventure game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bayonet Recon wrote:

If you want something a bit more than Runebound i would highly reccomend Return of the Heroes as a solid step up. It adds a bit more than RB and is not as simplistic as Talisman(which is a great party game or for young children). Prophecy has been thrown out there but i find it just a bit to much like RB generally.

Unless you are really into something heavy and complex i wouldn't get MK quite yet. I'm Magic Realm(the top end of RPG BGing IMO) player and MK was a solid alternative to get others involved in a more detailed RPG BG experience. It has a pretty steep learning curve but if you want higher detail and more control MK is the one for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Voss
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion of Return of Heroes. I'm going to take a closer look at that. Looks like it's an older game that is hard to find though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem with many of the suggestions is I like to play with other humans, and humans I know are Poles. I've been considering those games, but language barrier makes it harder to play.

We do know English, but when we're playing Runebound in Polish we can read fluff text aloud, or even tell some nice stories. When playing in English, well, translation on the fly isn't something many people can do, and it becomes more about dice rolling then the story. Duh, I've seed otherwise fluid at English person not knowing what trapdoor is when the card came up in DungeonQuest.

And unfortunately most of the games mentioned aren't in Polish, which limits my choices. Games without much flavor text will still work, though it's not always as fluid as native language. Especially because a lot of fantasy stuff is just hard to translate without thinking about it for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Return of the heroes is a step up? Really???!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

**Gasp***...Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Heh, that was my response as well (maybe not as extreme). There's a bit more to RotH, but it's overall pretty watered down, and the setting is pure vanilla, default, high-fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
bearn wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

**Gasp***...Yes

Could disagree more. It's not even a step up from talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.