Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Le Havre: The Inland Port» Forums » Rules

Subject: Paying A Cost Of Two On The Warehouse Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The English rules (pg. 4) state that there are three ways to pay costs. These three ways correspond to the arrows that appear in the upper right corner of the warehouse board:

- one move west = pay a cost of 1.
- one move south = pay a cost of 3.
- one move southwest = pay a cost of 4.

But what if the cost is two? Is it legal to move one space southeast to pay the cost, or must we move two spaces west?

It seems that we should be able to move in any direction, but since only three directions are documented, maybe not...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the directions are intentional. I don't believe moving down and leftright is legal, the same way that moving right 3 to gain 3 isn't allowed if you're instructed to move up 1 (for a gain of 3).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
I believe the directions are intentional. I don't believe moving down and left is legal, the same way that moving right 3 to gain 3 isn't allowed if you're instructed to move up 1 (for a gain of 3).


I think you meant down and right.

This is correct, payments can only be made in negative vectors shown on the board; down, left, or down-left.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies.

I guess this makes sense since it is consistent with regular Le Havre. Moving southeast, or down-right, on the warehouse board would imply breaking up a vertical unit of three since the move increases the quantity along the horizontal axis. The only way for the horizontal axis to increase is to "break" the unit of 3. Since we can't break up goods in regular Le Havre, this is consistent.

I just noticed that the southeast vector is the only undocumented one in the game. That is, there are no buildings or payment instructions that call for it to be used.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkeyman wrote:

I think you meant down and right.


Indeed sir. Editing to avoid confusion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wavedog98 wrote:
The English rules (pg. 4) state that there are three ways to pay costs. These three ways correspond to the arrows that appear in the upper right corner of the warehouse board:

- one move west = pay a cost of 1.
- one move south = pay a cost of 3.
- one move southwest = pay a cost of 4.

But what if the cost is two? Is it legal to move one space southeast to pay the cost, or must we move two spaces west?

It seems that we should be able to move in any direction, but since only three directions are documented, maybe not...


Hold on, my english rules specifically said you may not move 2 spaces left to pay 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:


Hold on, my english rules specifically said you may not move 2 spaces left to pay 2.


It does not. You're obviously referring to the example on page 4 that says the player can't move his cube west two spaces, but that's because with the cube being in the second column there aren't two spaces to move in the presented example.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
kvenosdel wrote:


Hold on, my english rules specifically said you may not move 2 spaces left to pay 2.


It does not. You're obviously referring to the example on page 4 that says the player can't move his cube west two spaces, but that's because with the cube being in the second column there aren't two spaces to move in the presented example.


Ah. I thought that was an example of a general payment restriction. I didn't see it in relation to the picture. Thank you!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.