Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dicetower [+] dicetray [+] [View All]
Andy Rothfusz
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Dice Shield campaign on Kickstarter has begun!
http://diceshield.com/kickstarter

The campaign will run through March 30th.

Questo Gizmo LLC is raising money to create the injection mold and first production run of this transparent, elevated dice tray. With the Dice Shield you can roll anywhere on the table (its feet are small) and see everything (because the sides are clear).

Made of 3/16" clear acrylic, the Dice Shield is sturdy and well-polished. More than a year of play-testing with Risk Legacy and other table-top games has proven that the Dice Shield makes every roll more fun, bringing the excitement back to the middle of the table.

Contribute now and reserve one of the first for yourself, or for your destructively-rolling friends

This would be a great thread to discuss dice games you'd like to use the Dice Shield with, or to find fellow rollers to go in together on some of the bundles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you do a version that has felt on the bottom, and sides, and maybe doesn't have legs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think these dice shields are kind of neat, especially with the sound-proofing. I've been looking for something like this for awhile. However, they are much too pricey for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
surprise

After making a dice tray out of foam board a couple of years back, I ended up purchasing some plexiglass to make another that had greater visibility, but never did find the time to play around with a design.

This is a great-looking product, but the cost of it and the "Ships within the US only" will prevent me from backing it. I wish you all the best, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Rothfusz
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Can you do a version that has felt on the bottom, and sides, and maybe doesn't have legs?

Hi Scott, I know you're just being silly, but a dice tray doesn't solve all the same problems as a Dice Shield. A dice tray is fine for when you're only rolling for yourself, but when your roll matters to everyone at the table, it makes the game more fun when everyone can see it.

The Dice Shield legs mean that you can have a pretty big rolling area (about 52 square inches) without taking up a big amount of table space (under 1.5 square inches total for the feet). You can roll right in the middle of the board, and its big enough for a LOT of dice, or for two players to roll against each other, like in Risk.

Risk is where the Dice Shield was born, following round after round of battling each other and holding up a traditional dice tray (well, ok, ours was just a wooden box) over the board. My arms got tired. I needed a better way, and the Dice Shield was it.

Since then, I've found other uses for it, like with Warhammer/Warmachines scatter dice, where you can roll right over the targeted figure. And since its big enough to hold over 60 12mm dice, you can roll for whole armies at once (good for any game), without having to chase dice all over the table.

The Dice Shield does everything your legless, felt-lined dice tray would do, and more. With the vinyl sound dampener, it can do it just as quietly. It can replace your $20 tray, your $15 damage template, add something to the game for everyone at the table, and look awesome doing it.

The MSRP will be $40 in stores, so the $50 reward level is slightly cheaper than the MSRP since it includes $11.30 for priority mail postage. If I could have reduced the contribution levels or the project goal, I definitely would have. But I would never remove the legs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Rothfusz
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Josh!
Check back in a week or so -- I've gotten so many comments and private messages about international shipping that I'm going to look into less expensive (but slower) shipping methods than USPS International Priority Mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USPS first class international is the only way to go for shipping into Canada, otherwise many of the other shippers will have duty service charges which run $30 to $40. Slow not at all some times it takes less than a week more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone in the central Massachusetts area who would be game to split up a 4-pack of the Shield + leg extensions + sound dampener, please Geekmail me. The cost for this is $215, so we could each get the "Deluxe" package for $53.75!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Rothfusz
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nastycleavage wrote:
USPS first class international is the only way to go for shipping into Canada...

I've just added a $65 option that ships via First-Class International anywhere in the world. Canada should't actually require that much more, but I couldn't set a separate rate for Canada :-( So, if I can, I will include a sound dampener for Canadian shipments.

What will determine if I can include the sound dampener for Canadian orders? If there are less than 10 Canadian orders, I can definitely cut them by hand. And if I can get the sound dampeners mass-produced, then I can also definitely include them.

Everywhere else in the world seems to be $25 for First-Class International, so that uses up all the shipping money, leaving none for a sound dampener, sorry.

But, the bottom-line good news is that you can get a Dice Shield shipped anywhere now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i opened my big mouth and stuck my foot in it, now to switch feet or try get both in. I am in because of the upgraded soundproofing, what will determine if my pledge holds is getting the additional soundproofing. I guess this means if 10 or more Canadians want this item then this Canadian is pulling out. Except if the sound dampeners is mass-produced, then i am back in ... this is getting confusing never mind difficult to keep track of.
Any way of just saying the first 10 Canadians will definitely get the dampening, that way there may be a mini Canadian rush to get in on this project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very interesting! I love my normal dice tray and the sides are only 1 inch high, so these seem very high. I assume you experimented with different heights? Yours look like maybe 4" and possibly cutting off an inch would make it slightly easier to grab into... but kind of nitpicking I'm definitely considering backing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.