Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Howdy,

I'm a big fan of the ACW period and have been looking into MMP's Great Campaigns series. I was just wondering if someone could give me an indication of the replay factor on any of the entries in this line?

thanks

rt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't played the game as much as I would like to (I hope that will soon change) because there are so many scenarios in each of the games I think it would have a pretty good replay value. The problem with the series is MMP has said they will no longer be publishing the series and some of the games like Roads to Gettysburg got rather small print runs and thus are extremely expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Mack
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey there mrbean,

Yeah, it sucks that they're not going to reprint them, I've been keeping my eyes open on ebay for some of the titles. The reason I was asking about replayability is that I recently purchased Guilford by GMT, part of the Revolutionary War series and after a couple of plays, I became a little concerned about the the amount of replay such a game could have. But I could be jumping to conclusions, I don't know, like I said, it's only hit the table a couple of times since I got it.

Anyway, enough rambling, thanks for you input!!

Jamie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamie,
I have found the replayability to be high, except for some of the first scenarios in each game (or the cavalry ones which I do not care for). Given the game mechanics you can never be certain of when your units will be activated which can alter the play of each game since maneuvering the corps into position for assaults can be tricky most of the time (much like the CW era ) If you are looking to experiment with the system, try getting a copy of Stonewall in the Valley. It has smaller armies and the scenarios are pretty good. If you like the system, then look to get either Grant Takes Command, On to Richmond, or Here Come the Rebels as these are, IMO, the best of the entire series.
Regards,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.