Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of quite a few people that prefer to play Sankt Petersburg and Puerto Rico online (instead of face-to-face) because it reduces the time needed to sort out and handle all the bits... It seems that for those people, and alternative is coming from over the horizon.

Philips has announced that they are developing a 30" LCD screen for use as a gameboard. This could be used to incorporate computergame-like features in the boardgame (such as dynamically changing maps). Their main objective, so far, seems to be more practical: reducing the stack of game boxes, since all boards (and perhaps bits?) can be placed on a memory stick for the LCD board.

It does sound like it's going to have some interesting options, but I must also say I like my pieces... So I do hope they are not all going to be incorporated in the board (for now, they have left pawns and dice outside of the board).

For more information (the official press releases), see www.entertaible.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Puerto Rico would never have been produced if it had to be implemented in a contraption such as this. Devices such as this need to sell in large numbers.

I don't recall any succesful boardgames for the video consoles - or even for the PC for that matter. So this table is most likely to include games that can sell enough items (ie. Monopoly).

And should it become a success will we soon see several competing systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
What about variants or games where hidden player information is important? I can't imagine those being easy to implement... Oh no, wait, you could put a cardboard screen on the surface. But not being able to tweak rules would be a major let-down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the third post on this in the last day

What I'd hope is that the technology isn't sold like a console system where you'd have to be stuck with a proprietary format, unable to add your own games or tweak existing ones.

Ultimately we'll have electronic touchable paper and so we should be able to implement whatever it is we like via a computer and a surface, but it would be great if this technology in particular was sold open ended, much like just a fancy monitor, so that you'd be able to use cyberboard, vassal or the like with it, and not just what a company feeds you.

What would be really annoying is if it was all closed and proprietary and games were licensed out at the same price as their cardboard counterparts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.