Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon+, Gili

I took white again, as I had the vast experience of two games under my belt and Gili had none. White is certainly difficult and demoralizing to play, since the bulk of your activity is to wait for your opponent to bring his forces out of Mordor, evade whenever possible, and when not, sacrifice. Everyone mentioned how the game incredibly gives you a feel for the story with barely any components, and now I see why.

I finally figured out how to play Pippin, although it didn't work out well for me this time. I couldn't understand how retreating did any good if the bad guy could just move forward and attack you anyway. Now I relize that you have to retreat into a space shared with one of your compatriots so that they will have to battle both. Of course. As an aside, it seems like you should be able to double team against an opponent if you are both in the same space, rather than fighting one at a time.

On Spielfrieks I called this a really short wargame and I stick to that assessment. Piece to piece confrontation and elimination, area control, comparison mechanics, direct movement, terrain negotiation, troop movement. That's a wargame as far as I am concerned.

The first attack of the game was my Pippin attacking a Warg. Pippin retreated into a space with Gandalf, and then the Warg attacked and Gandalf fell. That was quick. The rest of the White pieces fell one by one, taking a few black ones with them, most notably the Nazgul and the Riders.

We made it all the way through the cards until only Frodo remained, which is when I got the cards back. A lot of evasive action later and I found myself with a clear path to Mordor. None of Gili's pieces could attack me from where they were, and they were still too far from the Shire. So I slipped in for a surprise victory for the white forces.

My opinion of the game went up a notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb

Glad to see the game is continuing to pick up new fans

Shade_Jon wrote:

The first attack of the game was my Pippin attacking a Warg. Pippin retreated into a space with Gandalf

I believe the Warg's power text prohibits Pipping from retreating like he normally could. Perhaps you used the Retreat card instead?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. I meant the Orcs.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shade_Jon wrote:
Whoops. I meant the Orcs.

That would explain how Gandalf fell so easily

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.