Popular Tags: [View All]
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Daughter Tal suprised me by winning this one. I think I underestimated her. This game is harder for me than Dvonn. I'm still playing with the failing tactics of getting four in a row whenever possible, even though this is pointless when she can just break the line apart again. In the process, I missed Tal's winning lines.

This is a known psychological problem that people have in games: hoping that reality won't disturb your wish that a play will work, when there is no hope that it can. What is really going on is that you are too lazy to actually work at finding a winning strategy. This happens to many people at the end of Puerto Rico games ("if I craft, will you ship?").

--- EDIT ---

I'll add the following:

The sides of the Yinsh board are designed so that you cannot form 5 in a row by just lining your pieces against the side. I suspect that was an important consideration while creating the board.

Tal likes to start off along an edge, anyway. After filling up the edge, she then forms a line next to it, thereby creating five in a row. Naturally I dump a few rings along her path which frustrates this tactic.

She still managed to form her first ring while I was being defensive in this way. Each time she got a ring, I got one right after. Unfortunately, she was one step ahead in this process, and that's how it continued until I relized she was going to get her third ring off and my rings were on the wrong side of the board to do anything about it.

Next time I'll try to take better notes, if I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, ... ok, it is a bit short. I can't give a blow by blow to every session report.

Rather than a replay report, this is a reaction report: something I learned about while playing the game.

Yehuda

Update: I added a bit more to the original report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.