Popular Tags: [View All]
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I may have been bitten by the hype bug and am now considering investment in a copy of RRT.

I have a few concerns:

What size table do you need to really play this game, taking into consideration that not only does the board need to fit, but so do the extraneous components, snacks and a place for people to just generally exist.

My other concern is that our group already has ticket to ride, and unfortunately it's one of my least favorite games. I feel there is little if no interaction and that the results are typically almost solely luck, based on what cards you end up with and which routes you can complete. Is RRT similar, do we need another train game, is there more strategy in RRT that makes it more of gamers game? I am assuming so, but since I'm a bit put off by TTR, I wanted to get some feedback.

Finally, the time the game takes is another concern. We typically game with 5 people and while we game frequently, a 2-3hour game would be a turn off...unless it's the type of game that DOESN'T feel like 2-3 hour game. An example would be Traders of Genoa, we played the other nite...and it took a long time to complete and unfortunately it FELT like a long time. Meanwhile, Shadows Over Camelot often took a pretty long time to complete...but rarely FELT like it.

Thanks for any advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: My interest is peaked in Railroad Tycoon but...
I haven't played the game yet, but you need a big big table, the game is nothing like Ticket to Ride except that you connect City X and City Y (everything else is different), and it's "piqued".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
darlok wrote:
I believe I may have been bitten by the hype bug and am now considering investment in a copy of RRT.

I have a few concerns:

What size table do you need to really play this game, taking into consideration that not only does the board need to fit, but so do the extraneous components, snacks and a place for people to just generally exist.

Many of the extraneous components (but not all) can fit onto dead spaces on the board. But don't be fooled, you need a big table. I've played this on "normal" sized tables with one leaf and it's certainly doable though a little crowded (read no room for snacks).

darlok wrote:
My other concern is that our group already has ticket to ride, and unfortunately it's one of my least favorite games. I feel there is little if no interaction and that the results are typically almost solely luck, based on what cards you end up with and which routes you can complete. Is RRT similar, do we need another train game, is there more strategy in RRT that makes it more of gamers game? I am assuming so, but since I'm a bit put off by TTR, I wanted to get some feedback.

This is not comparable to Ticket to Ride. It is between TtR and Age of Steam being much closer to the AoS end of the spectrum. There is still a generous helping of luck in RRT but it's not the same as in TtR.

The worst swing of luck I've seen in the game is when the Baltimore to Toledo Major Route card came out and one player went for it and got it then the New York to Chicago card came out and the same player easily got that one because the route was almost complete already. Getting one of those cards is balanced, getting both in the same game seems like a big windfall.

I don't believe the New York to KC (w/ western link) is unbalanced because it's so ridiculously hard and expensive to get. I've never seen it come close to being done but I am deteremined to try it one time just to see the effect.

darlok wrote:
Finally, the time the game takes is another concern. We typically game with 5 people and while we game frequently, a 2-3hour game would be a turn off...unless it's the type of game that DOESN'T feel like 2-3 hour game. An example would be Traders of Genoa, we played the other nite...and it took a long time to complete and unfortunately it FELT like a long time. Meanwhile, Shadows Over Camelot often took a pretty long time to complete...but rarely FELT like it.

Thanks for any advice

I was concerned about the time at first too. If you have slow players, it can be a long game. But this is definitately a game that can be played quickly, many decisions need not be deliberated on excessively. If you play reasonably you can finish in under 2 hours with 5 players. Two player games can be surprisingly quick. I think this game is shorter in duration than Caylus.

Finally, is your user name a homage to Master of Orion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
mdp4828 wrote:

I don't believe the New York to KC (w/ western link) is unbalanced because it's so ridiculously hard and expensive to get. I've never seen it come close to being done but I am deteremined to try it one time just to see the effect.

I managed to complete this last night in a three player game. They other players knew I was going for it, and blocked me in one spot. I built around (requiring more links), and at that point it would have taken both of them cooperating to block me, so they didn't. I was so far behind at this point due to doing nothing but laying track each turn that I wasn't a huge threat. I was thirty points behind, so even after completing I was 10 points behind. Then the game ended before I had a chance to catch up by shipping on my huge line (would have taken a few turns anyway to upgrade my engine). So I found the card pretty well balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Raita
Finland
LOHJA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My table is 110 x 190 cm (3.6 x 6.2 feet), and it barely fits.

Railroad Tycoon is far more complex than Ticket to Ride, and requires more strategy in that way. Railroad Tycoon also clearly suits better for more players, it's really enjoyable even with 6 players, while Ticket to Ride is perhaps at its best as a 2-player game. A 5-player game of TtR is quite chaotic.

I've played Railroad Tycoon with 3-6 players and it's good. I particularly like the money/share -system; it makes the game deeper - you have to not only set your goals but also balance your account - if you invest too heavily, you might never see any positive cash flow.

The random cubes set in each city in the beginning of the game makes it enough different every time, while the permanent colours and distances of the cities make it not too different.

The only really bad thing about RT is the manual: the rules are not very clear based on it, there's a lot of misleading wording and things just not mentioned. Obviously the FAQ on BGG helps with this, but the amount of confusion without it is rather irritating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the many helpful replies. I believe that i've been convinced. Likely during the next ordering sessions, i will include this.

darlok - is absolutely a tribute to masters of orion, being such a big fan of those games you can imagine my distress when moo3 was released without them as an included race(well, and was such a terrible game).
Is Twilight Imperium similiar to moo? It sorta seems like it, but have never played it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hudson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board size is no secret, it is listed right on the back of the box as one of the bullet-pointed 'features:' 36"x45"

The "colored cube" delivery is quite fun to me, and sets it distinctly apart from simpler connection-only games like TransAmerica and Ticket to Ride. Also, your income increases from other people using your track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 and a half by almost 4 feet?!?!?! Holy Cow!surprise
I think I'll take it to Kinko's, copy and trim whatever edges I can..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 5 foot round table works good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, wormy, but how long did it take you to saw the corners off??
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.