Mare Nostrum: Mythology Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Moses and the Black Sea? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I have spotted a slight mistake in the otherwise perfect translation. Moses is claimed to be able to: "and of course crossing the Black Sea" (p. 14 English rules). This should surely read "...the Red Sea", right? Both for "historical reasons" and since the Bospors are part of the Black Sea already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Red Sea is meant. You can't crosss the Black Sea with Moses (except at the Bosphorus). You can cross it with Aeneas, but that is another story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Y
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mb
Does Black mean Red in French?

We just added the red sea to the mix and continue to allow crossing the Black sae as well as Bosphorus. Though no-one has played Moses in any of our games just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like the solution. It doesnt seem to be translation typo, though. The French rulebook also says "Mer Noire" when it should have said "Mer Rouge", I guess.

Regarding not picking some heros - we play that you draw Wonders and Hero cards at random to give some varity (otherwise its Helen of Troy that gets picked first EVERY time) and to stop time wasting analysis paralysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
badmojo wrote:
Regarding not picking some heros - we play that you draw Wonders and Hero cards at random to give some varity (otherwise its Helen of Troy that gets picked first EVERY time) and to stop time wasting analysis paralysis.

Bad, *BAD* idea. Buying Wonders and Heroes is not something that happens all the time: you can figure out what wonders will benefit you when other players take their turn. If people select Helen every time, they need to work on their strategy because I am willing to bet they are playing suboptimally. In addition, sometimes you absolutely need a specific card to be able to bring important game elements under your control. Handing them out at random screws up this crucial idea entirely and just emphasises nation building, a theme Mare Nostrum has little to do with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deliberate picking is better. The Analysis Paralysis problem is biggest when you are new to the game and there seem to be so many options. Playing a few times should reduce it (also thinking about your pick in advance- or you could read my strategy articles). Helen is not the best pick anymore (In the old game, maybe she was, I didn't play it enough), at least not automatically. I think Greece can get much better value from the Colossus, to name one example. And Babylon has a range of specially suitable heroes to choose from.

I can see if I played this every day I might have the ocasional random hero game for the thrill, but sadly I am more likely to play once a fortnight if I am lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Y
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mb
At the begining of each game we'll draw about eight hetores at random to be excluded from the game. I wonder if that's was Bad Mojo means.

Drawing heores at random seems interesting but might also be a sort of "waste" of those 9 resources. Amongst our players there are just some heroes that never seem top be played... Ulysses & Moses being prime examples.

I can totally see how Ulysses could be played but have personally never had the opportunity to fit him into a proper stratigy. I agree that Helen isn't always the best hero for a specific Nation but someone's going to buy her if she's in the game... rarely this that not the case.

We're due for a game this weekend with an all new player, one player's 3rd game and another player's fourth game (they won with Greece last game). The other 3 players will include myself, Clarkism and my girlfriend (who originally bought the game in the first place). Should make for an interesting game.

We'll see if Clarkism brings his laptop so we can record the game play by play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.