Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any versions of Ingenious with a plastic board where the tiles fit in little wells ala Blokus? I'm rather clumsy and I play with my 5 year old son, so we tend to knock the pieces out of place with this one. Is there any way of keeping the pieces in place, short of putting velcro on each tile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Man, I wish. I have the Kosmos edition, and I've played the FFG edition, and both of them have standard cardboard boards.

I don't know about the other editions, but considering the boxes are all about the same size, my guess is "not."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
The UK edition (Mensa Connections by Sophisticated Games) also has a cardboard board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll third the desire for this. Having played blokus, I just presumed that Ingeneous had the same kind of board, and was dissapointed it didn't. Likewise, my young kids knock it around a bit. Having now played the game though, I realize the board would have to be pretty big. Would net a few sections to lock together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it would be nice, but i would think it a bit delicate since it would need to account for tiles going at any angle. maybe just pegs at the corners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Gemblo seems to be the model for multi-hexagon pieces on a recessed plastic board. I think Herr Knizia ought to get in contact with DG Games (or FFG get in contact with whatever plastics manufacturer pressed GemBlo, or some such combination of contacts that gets us an Ingenious board that's as sturdy, as functional, and as pretty as a GemBlo board.

Imagine a reduced-size version of that board with two-segment two-tone gems. Mmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
astroglide wrote:
it would be nice, but i would think it a bit delicate since it would need to account for tiles going at any angle. maybe just pegs at the corners?

It would probably work better to have either a hexagonal or circular peg at the center of each hexagon on the board, and then a corresponding socket in each end of each game piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Czech Mate
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think a Blokus-like board
would benefit Ingenious.

Perhaps you could glue a spot of velcro (hooks) to
each space on the board (except printed spaces),
and glue a spot of velcro (loops) to each tile back.
That might hold them in position pretty well. If the
velcro were white and in the center of the spaces/tiles
and were small (say 6 or 8 mm in diameter), they wouldn't
be too distracting and it wouldn't take much effort to
place and remove tiles.

The risk may be that the velcro holds tightly but
it rips the paper off the board when you remove a tile...

mikey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Ingenious would have such a board as well. The fact that it doesn't have any way of holding played tiles in place has kept me from buying it. It seems like a pretty poor way to produce what is an otherwise fun game.

===

I don't understand why it would be any more or less delicate than Blokus. In Blokus the tiles have to fit regardless of orientation. With Ingenious you would have raised hexagonal ridges on the board, and each double-hex tile would have a little indent bisecting it that would rest over the ridge when played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patha
United States
Bay area
California
flag msg tools
mb
It will work! Take a look at the game Heximania:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/89173

While there are no pics of the actual board on BGG, i purchased it and it is indeed a very good-quality plastic board with hexi-grooves. They could totally do the same for Ingenious, but then, it would cost more, wouldn't it?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederico Santos
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

i'm considering buying the ingenious game, and i noticed there is a difference of 10 € between the FantasyFlight edition (Ingenious) and the german Kosmos edition (Einfach Genial).

Would it be safe to buy the (cheaper) german edition, in terms of component quality ?
I mean, are there any differences that would justify this price difference ?

If it's only for the rules, i can easily get a translation...

Thanks a lot.

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Fred:

As near as I can remember, the only difference between the two games is the title and the box art. The boards and pieces are the same, and both are of high quality. I'd say go ahead and get the Kosmos edition, since you can get the rules translation here, unless you're feeling overly generous, and want to support FFG.

The game is abstract, so the pieces are language independent, and the game isn't that bad. I don't think I like it as much as Blokus, but that might just be because I play it more than EG.

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going back to the original question, you can now get the 2-player travel version in Germany (Einfach Genial: Reiseedition). Plastic components and board, wells to hold the tiles, and slot-in pegs for scoring - so everything's waterproof and more resistant to the occasional nudge during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
I thought Ingenious would have such a board as well. The fact that it doesn't have any way of holding played tiles in place has kept me from buying it. It seems like a pretty poor way to produce what is an otherwise fun game.

I didn't get this game for the longest time because of this issue, but the game is great even without it. I agree it could use this feature, but the game is playable.

One thing I was thinking, was to add a line of hot glue along the lines of the hex board. The tiles already have a ridge between them, this may help the tiles from sliding. If I test it out, I will let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the 2-player travel version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fitzyfitz wrote:
Going back to the original question, you can now get the 2-player travel version in Germany (Einfach Genial: Reiseedition). Plastic components and board, wells to hold the tiles, and slot-in pegs for scoring - so everything's waterproof and more resistant to the occasional nudge during play.

Unfortunately, it's strictly two player, and comes with only half as many pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Gemblo seems to be the model for multi-hexagon pieces on a recessed plastic board. I think Herr Knizia ought to get in contact with DG Games (or FFG get in contact with whatever plastics manufacturer pressed GemBlo, or some such combination of contacts that gets us an Ingenious board that's as sturdy, as functional, and as pretty as a GemBlo board.

Imagine a reduced-size version of that board with two-segment two-tone gems. Mmmm.
There's also Blokus Trigon. Well, technically, it's a triangular grid on a hexagonal board, but things can be adjusted to suit a hexagonal grid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.