United States
Brunswick Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
Go Army!
badge
Beat Navy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this one up thinking that we would be snowed in and would need something to do. No snow, but we pulled it out anyway. I have a 10 year old that loved the robot-wars type shows on TV, and thought he would get a kick out of this. I believe the game advertises for 12 and up, but he was able to pick it up no problem at 10. We did modify the rules just a little. I was ALWAYS under the 30 second timer; he could take as long as required.

I set up with one of be entry level scenarios. My son picked his robot (Twonky), and I explained the rules to him. We played 3 quick hands for him to see how the robots move, and reset to start the game.

I got fairly lucky on my first draw, and was able to rotate right, go forward and rotate left bringing lasers to bear to his rear (he took off in a straight line) in the first turn. At the end of the first turn, he had one damage, but was closer to the flag. Turn two saw him swing his robot around to retaliate, however I was long gone...making a rush for flag one.

After a few hands, I had flag one, a few lucky turns hitting him with the laser, and was on my way to flag two. He had picked up flag one, but a mistake put him on a conveyor and he took a few laser hits locking two registers. He hopped off the conveyor, and shut down...and could do little other than see me well on my way to flag two. He gave chase, but a bad draw and another mistake put him on another conveyor, losing more time. He did manage to hit flag 2 one hand before the end.

The end saw me with what at first looked like a bad hand just 2 spaces from the final flag. Kind of amazing what time pressure will do to your thought process, it was actually a great hand...two left turns, go back, and go back sitting me down right on the last flag.

Neither of us picked up option cards, but he did read through them. I think he has some ideas for our next game! For now, I think we will keep me under the timer, as it did seem to even it up a bit.

Overall he had a blast, as did I. The only part of the game that seemed to confuse him somewhat was how the robots rotated when they go around a turn on a conveyor. On two occasions, he did not take that turn into account, resulting in staying on the conveyor rather than getting off. I helped him plan for it the third time, and he seems to have a better grasp of the concept now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kaplan
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
Good report. It's nice to hear that a 10-year-old can handle this game. I'm 31 and I can barely play it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
Quote:
Neither of us picked up option cards, but he did read through them. I think he has some ideas for our next game! For now, I think we will keep me under the timer, as it did seem to even it up a bit.
We never picked up any option cards either. The timer handicap is a good idea, I'll try it when I play with my daughter.

Quote:
Overall he had a blast, as did I

After one playing I think we were hooked, this will definately see alot of table time. I'm going to get my wife to play this week.

Quote:
The only part of the game that seemed to confuse him somewhat was how the robots rotated when they go around a turn on a conveyor

Me too, we were sitting in swivel office chairs while playing and it was kinda funny to us both to see us turning around in different positions while doing our program cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is indeed a fun game. I also plan to introduce it to my 10yo nephew. I'm glad to hear a success story for a similar situation.

I've tried a lot of different things with Robo Rally from simple to complex (including a 2 on 2 game of football kind of game). The key is to keep it simple.

Robo rally is a lot more fun if you play many smaller games than 1 big game. You could play that special cards carry over or whatever, but the ability to reset often and go at it again and again is a lot more fun than the game degenerating down to a fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stripp
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
On a related note, I recieved this game for Christmas and have played a couple of times with my 6 year old son. He's not too bad and only needs a little help. So you can definately play it with younger kids and it's a real good exercise in predicative thought.

Heck you can play most games with kids as they have an enourmous capacity to learn things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
My kid is 9. I have been programming computers for 25 years. He tries to put me under time pressure by getting his program done quicker than me. I can't believe the audacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.