Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Asteroids aren’t really part of maneuvering, but since so much of moving in formations deals with asteroids, I thought to wrap up my series, I would do a section on this as well.

Here is the play mat:

The box in the middle is the legal placement for asteroids, which is at least range 2 from any edge. The Imperials will start at the top and the Rebels will start at the bottom.

Let’s start with the easy faction:
Imperials

In my opinion there are only 4 places you should ever consider placing an asteroid if you are an Imperial player:

The 4 corners of legal placement put the asteroids as far from the center of the board where most of the action takes place. You can make an argument for placing an asteroid in the center of the bottom edge of the Rebel side, but since when I play Imperials I almost always start on one edge and angle toward the center, I may have to worry about that asteroid if the Rebels approach slowly.

You might also not want to place asteroids on your own side, but in the games I’ve played, once I’ve flow past asteroids on my side, I never have to deal with them again.

Once Wave 2 comes out, I can see some elite Imperial builds with 4 or fewer ships, and you might want to duck behind asteroids in the middle of the board. I’m yet to play with Wave 2, so I can’t comment too much on that yet. But if you are flying 6+ ships, you don’t like asteroids.

Rebels

The sky is the limit when it comes to placing asteroids, so let me give you one example.

Here is my favorite attack formation:

Biggs is tucked behind an asteroid and everyone is range 1 from Biggs. For the first combat round, the enemy is firing at Biggs at range 2-3 through an asteroids and I am rolling 3-4 defense dice. Meanwhile, I am exchanging fire at range 1-2 with my two most forward ships and the one in the rear is a Y-wing who will ionize someone and screw up their formation. The enemy cannot charge straight at me for the second turn, since the asteroid is in the way, so they have to turn to my right, or go straight past me on the left. My second turn after combat I take it slow and turn to the right to get in behind them. When flying in formation around an asteroid, I like to use the smaller asteroids because the big one is hard to straddle and still stay at range 1.

On each of my previous posts where I show an attack formation, people ask what happens when the enemy doesn’t set up where I want them. Yes, this can happen, but you can plan for this occurrence. I like to fly the six named TIE fighters. My lowest skill pilot is 5, so my rebel opponent (if they are flying 4 ships) has to set up at least 1 ship first regardless of who has initiative. However, most Imperial builds I’ve seen have a least 1 academy TIE so you can react to their placement.

So, as a Rebel player, because I don’t know where the Imps are going to set up while placing asteroids, I need to make sure I have more than one good attack area.

In this example the Imperial player has placed his three asteroids in the corners, and I have placed two asteroids in the middle in the same orientation. If you look at my attack formation above, I can do this around either of the two asteroids in the middle and I can put Biggs on either side of the asteroids. I’ve left a 1-ship wide channel between the two asteroids the Imperial placed on my side and the ones I put in the middle.

Now I place the last asteroid:

If you were an Imperial player where would you start?

Now there are no 2-ship wide lanes anywhere but on the edges. The Imperial player should set up in Area 1 or 2. Odds are he will pick Area 1. And he will probably set up to the outside of the small asteroid you placed in the middle. If he is flying all the named TIEs and you have to place your ship first, then assume he is going to start in Area 1. If he starts in Area 2 instead, then start moving slowly and force him to turn into the asteroids.

And if he doesn’t start in either Area 1 or 2 and starts in the middle instead, then just go 1 forward until the asteroids split up his formation. TIE’s slowest forward movement is 2, so they will hit the asteroids before you do, and then you can pick them off 1 by 1 as the filter through.

If you are using a 3 ship elite rebel build, then the triangle formation of asteroids still makes sense in the middle. You should always get to set up after your opponent, so set up diagonally from him and move slowly toward the middle. The Imperial will either be forced to come in and get you, or they will start doing 1 turns to waste time, in which case their formation is probably ruined and you can accelerate in to attack.

I hope all these have been helpful.

I’ve uploaded the Word Doc version of all of these articles to the file section called Movement Analysis, and it should be approved shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be more than happy to set up anywhere off the left or right of the centerline asteroid, zoom in and then cut inward to alpha strike on the rebels.

I've been practicing maneuvering squadrons through obstacles, so I'll just say asteroids do not concern me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Really love this post. I'm trying to incorporate more thought into my asteroid placement and how I use them to my advantage. I've got a lot of work to do, but these posts have been really helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.