Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been trying to find a solution to make the dragons weigh more so they slide less if bumped.

I've looked at felt (still slides and too light), leather (best for no slipping if you use sueade, but more costly and harder to apply, and finally, magnetic sheet ($1.90 for a sheet at craft warehouse). The magnetic sheet is near perfect. It's the thin magnet material used on the back of fridge magnets. It adds significant weight for something about 1/16th of an inch thick. Also, it has a self-adhesive backing which you just peel off and apply. It cuts very easy with scissors after it has been applied, shaping to the base perfectly.

I've noticed that now the dragons are less likely to tip if bumped, and slide less once positioned. Now I only wish the boards were made of metal meeple

OK, I did one more thing to the bases. Today at the store I bought a roll of the rubberized mat for pantry shelves. It comes in different colors and runs about $4 a roll. I affixed it to the bottom of the magnet sheet I put on the bases with superglue, and cut to size around the base. Those dragons don't slip any now, plus they still have the weight to keep from tipping. The bonus is the wife got 5' of shelf matting since I only needed a 1x12 inch strip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought this game and agree that you need to add more weight & traction to the pieces.

When you say rubberized mat, do you mean that tacky (sticky, not gauche) neoprene webbing? Or that stuff that they use to help you open jars?

I'm also considering coring out the base with a dremel and filling it with lead shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
The stuff I used is rubber like but not sticky. It's almost like the pads you can place on a dashboard to keep your keys or cel-phone in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Osiowy
Canada
winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put cork on the bottom of the dragons and they should work fine. ( I havn't actually tried them yet.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Derrick
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
...magnetic sheet...rubberized mat...

I have used exactly this solution and it is perfect.

The only difference is that I bought a roll of magnetic tape from Michaels that was exactly the width of the dragons, so cutting the bases was even easier.

The "rubberized" mat is shelf liner that has a look like someone dribbled rubber while melted in a cris-cros pattern to make this flat rubbery sheet. And again, with this and the magnet weight, I can put a dragon on the board and tip it past 30 degrees without it sliding or falling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.